Author Topic: C/Production Build.....  (Read 22559 times)

Offline Wade_Owens

C/Production Build.....
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
We've recently started on our first Land Speed Car project. We are building a '90 Camaro for the Production class. The car started life as a SCCA car, imported from Hawaii. We stripped the car completely and removed the roll bar. Our good friend Dennis Reeves installed the cage. The floorpans on the Camaro are a challenge, but we were able to get a nice fit and tie in all the important areas. I have an ex-bracket race engine that we will use to get started, along with a Super T-10. Steve's Rampage build has inspired me to snap some pictures and ask for help. This community seems very helpful and we are looking forward to racing with you guys. I also have a '59 Studebaker we started on, but, the Camaro will be ready first. As soon as I figure out how to post some pictures, I'll get you guys caught up on where we are at in the build.

Wade Owens

Offline DND

Re: C/Production Build.....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
Hi Wade

Are you going to run the car this yr, looking forward to seeing your pics and welcome to the Salt Magnet that will keep pulling you back for more fun!!

I been hooked for 53' yrs

G Don

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
Here was the beginning of the project. SCCA legal and was used as a driving school car. I cant imagine the hell this car had seen. We'll give it a facelift this winter, worried about the mechanics right now.
hope to be ready this fall. We'll see how it all goes.

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »

Here are the left side floor plates and roll bar attachments. We plated the floor first, then covered with a smaller 1/8 plate. The lower one starts at the rocker sill and extends the load over to the top of the frame rail.

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »

This is the right front floorboard plate and roll bar. More of the same, trying to spread the load from not only the rocker, but, onto the framerail, too. Holes forward of the plate are where the SCCA "roll bar" was bolted into the thin floor pan.

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »

Left rear side of the cage an floor plate. This is a problem area underneath trying to cope with the uneven floor and frame rail heights. It all worked out real well.

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »

This is from the right side. A few more cage and plate pics.

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »

This is our idea on seat attachment for the bottom. We plated the floor to spread the load and attached a top plate. It is also plated underneath like the roll cage. I really like the rear seat bar, just a little added insurance in case of an unspeakable...

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »

Thats all for tonight, big box from the brown truck tomorrow. Lots to get done real soon....

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »
Your friend Dennis Reeves has a good hand. The welds look first class. Nice work.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:34 AM »
Your friend Dennis Reeves has a good hand. The welds look first class. Nice work.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Peter, you are correct. Dennis is a perfectionist and it shows in his work. We have been friends for 20 years and he is a great source to have on the team. His stainless welds look like a machine done them.

Wade

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

Here is the seat belt mounting tab. I like this much better than using a flat tab on the cage. Looks plenty stout.....

Wade

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »
Nice, but I'd like to see a higher quality bolt in that seat belt attachment. It is in single shear so the stress will be relatively high in a crash.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
Nice, but I'd like to see a higher quality bolt in that seat belt attachment. It is in single shear so the stress will be relatively high in a crash.

Thanks Neil, it was in there as a "handle" to hold in position while welding.....

Wade

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »

Got some more ready last night. Trimmed and installed the dash several times to fit around the roll cage. After getting it to fit, started cutting the pad to clear the down bars. Ended up splitting the dash pad and working from the outside in. All fits nice and tight, I'll use a thin piece of plastic trim to cover the seam, then detail and paint/dye them both.

Wade