Author Topic: Oil coolers - does the orientation (vertical vs. horizontal) matter?  (Read 12859 times)

Offline SteveM

The title pretty much sums up the question.  I can't see any reason why the orientation of an oil cooler should matter, but if there's a reason, I'm betting that someone here will weigh in on it.

The installation instructions don't indicate a preferred orientation, but all the diagrams show the cooler in a horizontal orientation, with the fittings pointing in the "up" direction.

For my application, it looks like the cooler will fit better in a vertical orientation, with the fittings pointing in a "sideways" direction.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Oil coolers - does the orientation (vertical vs. horizontal) matter?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
I think it matters much more how the airflow is directed through the cooler. Also be concerned about how to let air bubbles exit the cooler without collecting into a big air space which displaces the oil and reduces the cooler efficiency.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
fittings up, or sideways is fine if the "in" is the bottom, it can force air out. fittings down is no go as it can potentially trap air.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
I say vertical, less aeration . I think it's easier to mount vertical and can take up less space.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:19:50 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »
The factory oil coolers on our Hondas has the inlet and outlet both facing up.

I suspect the idea is to keep the cooler from draining and having to refill when started.

This is just a guess on my part.

Don

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
If you dont put the fittings up, you may not be able to gauge oil level or losses correctly (in the engine).  At some point, you may want to see exactly where the oil level is, compared to what you thought you had, after a run.  Measuring "leaked" oil volume found in a belly pan is about as easy as answering "how long is a piece of string". :-P 

Regards, JimL

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
It looks like I will be able to mount it with the fittings facing "up", and located in front of the radiator.  Although this wasn't what I had first pictured in my mind's eye (with respect to the available space and line routing), I think it should work out well.

Very good points raised all around.  I love this place.

Steve.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »
Steve, do you really need an oil cooler?
I want oil to be at least 150 f before making a pass.  Thats a lot of running while waiting in line.  I went to oil heaters.  No oil cooler on any of the LSR vehicles I've been involved with.  My oil tank will have coolant flowing thru heat exchanger to help oil get hot.  If engine coolant temp is 200 f, then the oil will be similar.  I just refuse to make horsepower with a cold engine.
Rick

Offline SteveM

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »
In the VW diesel world, oil coolers are considered very important, especially for any hopped up turbo engines.  Getting heat out of the pistons is handled by oil squirters located under the slugs.  Piston-to-cylinder clearances are TIGHT!   The guys "in the know" on these VW diesels claim that cool oil is more important than cool water for making one of these engines live at high (relatively speaking) HP levels.

I'm going to play it better safe than sorry, on the cool side of oil temps.

Steve.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
I was talking to the guys who run the Shelby Charger (?) at El Mirage today about the headlight covers.  Theirs are original.  I asked if someone made reproductions of them, if they would be legal.  (How's that for involving two parties that have no official bearing?)  They thought they would be alright -- even if they were flat.
e
I'm thinking that guys run reproduction roadster bodies (slicker and smaller) and get away with it.  And people use repro fenders on Mustangs and such.  What would be the big deal in reproducing the factory part?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »
I already have a ruling in writing from SCTA.  They gotta be OEM.

Steve.