Author Topic: Tent, Gazebo, Marquee, canopies  (Read 4928 times)

Offline peterdallan

Tent, Gazebo, Marquee, canopies
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:30 AM »
Hi,

Coming over for BUB in August from the UK with a bike and 4 or 5 crew/friends. I'm flying in to Las Vegas to pick up bike and buy anything we need that we won't be flying over with the bike ie most stuff.

Is there anyone here that can recommend somewhere on the Las Vegas region that I can buy a suitable canopy from? Googling brings up the usual Home Depot, Harbour Freight etc. just looking for advice as to the best place to go and also perhaps a brand of tent that people have found suitable for the salt.

We were thinking of a 10' by 20' size, with removable sides.

Any advice on make or size much appreciated as a lot of you will have actual experience as to what works best.

Cheers

Peter

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
Re: Tent, Gazebo, Marquee, canopies
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 06:30:21 AM »
Peter,
Don't forget some cheapo tarps to put down on the floor.  :-D
A very large cooler to keep drinks in  :cheers:

Whatever shelter you get, don't forget to take it down at the end of the day, to stop it blowing away.

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, Walmart will be one stop shopping for you

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Peter:

If none of you and you buddies have been to Bville before -- be aware that the winds will wreak havoc with whatever tents or shade or "EZ Up" devices you have.  Plan to attach them to the salt with more than just weighted buckets of such.  We use 1/4" lag bolts drilled into the surface of the salt for both the shade and the tarps on the ground.  We always put the shade away if we're leaving the pit for any time without someone there.  Collapsible shade is easy to "accordian" into a small area and then lay down while you're gone from the area.

When we got home for the night we usually try to place heavy objects around the perimeter of the ground cover.  The winds often have blown during the night and managed to get under the tarp, even though it's properly bolted down, and sometimes whip it enough to tear the grommets loose from the tarp per se.  By putting objects -- even pieces of lumber - around the perimeter you'll likely keep the wind from getting under the tarp.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
Thanks Slim, good advice.

I heard from the Britchopper crew who went to Speedweek last year that at the first sign of wind take the covers down as fast as you can!

Peter

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
Thanks Slim, good advice.

I heard from the Britchopper crew who went to Speedweek last year that at the first sign of wind take the covers down as fast as you can!

Peter

Yeah, we got hit hard while in staging after Nancy went down and luckily had a guy in the pits that got our covers down before we had too much damage.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
Two years ago we were kind enough to leave our shade there for some freshly graduated engineering students that had come in a rented motor home. All we asked was that they take the top off of the EZ UP & put it in the motor home. We explained how fast & how bad the wind & rain could come up. Apparently that was too much to ask and the engineering students decided to just slip the top in under the ground tarp {being engineers and all}. They got away with it the first day but on Monday morning the ground tarp was hanging on by 1 grommet and the top had just entered the city limits of Tooele Utah thus proving the theory that you can always tell an engineer but you cant tell them much, let alone 5 of them. We did some dumpster diving to come up with a make shift top. Anyone without shade from that time on has been and will be on their own. Never even offered to pay for it either just that they were sorry which I agreed with. No act of kindness ever goes unpunished. No offense to any engineers meant of course, you know how you guys are.  :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
Two years ago we were kind enough to leave our shade there for some freshly graduated engineering students that had come in a rented motor home. All we asked was that they take the top off of the EZ UP & put it in the motor home. We explained how fast & how bad the wind & rain could come up. Apparently that was too much to ask and the engineering students decided to just slip the top in under the ground tarp {being engineers and all}. They got away with it the first day but on Monday morning the ground tarp was hanging on by 1 grommet and the top had just entered the city limits of Tooele Utah thus proving the theory that you can always tell an engineer but you cant tell them much, let alone 5 of them. We did some dumpster diving to come up with a make shift top. Anyone without shade from that time on has been and will be on their own. Never even offered to pay for it either just that they were sorry which I agreed with. No act of kindness ever goes unpunished. No offense to any engineers meant of course, you know how you guys are.  :cheers:

We pick on the engineers but.........................they deserve it! :-D

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Both of my brother in laws are engineers and I worked under them for 40 years doing power line work. I bust them and they bust back. The only reason they have lineman is because a monkey wont work and a mule wont climb. Its all in fun, I really meant no offence to anyone, sort of  :-D

Offline Charlie Chops 1940

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
The most compact 10x10 canopy I have found was from Lowes. The legs have 3 telescoping tubes. In the bag with wheels it is 10 inches square and just under 40 inches long.

Charlie

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
I did get the Lowes ones, great quality bit couldn't bring them home with me so donated them to BUB at the end of the week.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »
Classy move... Someone will thank you!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 12:26:55 AM »
Hey, engineers are not the worst, the lawyers are the worst by far, look at congress way too many lawyers.  :evil:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine