Author Topic: Popham Beach Lobster Feast?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline MiltonP

Popham Beach Lobster Feast?
« on: June 16, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
Heard rumors in Wilmington there wouldn't be a lobster feast the Monday after the Maine Event this year.  Can anyone verify that is the case?  Bummed if that is the case but if so I will make sure I get my fill of coastal riding and lobster Northbound.  Need the info to start booking rooms on the road.
 :cheers:

Offline MiltonP

Re: Popham Beach Lobster Feast?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
Well I have two nights in Trenton and one in Princeton on my way up to cover my lobster requirements.  Hope the feast returns in 2014 though I may have to miss if I opt to run BUB though thinking 2015 for that. :cheers:

Offline entropy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
hey Milton,

there is no Lobster fest this year.

Jim and Jaime are up to their eyeballs in "stuff"

Too bad bc Brenda Sue was sorta looking forward to talking to you! :wink:
karl

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
Milton- be sure to stop at Gendron's Seafood to
get your "Lobstah" on the way up... Super nice
guys with the best lobstah around. We took our
turkey fryer and boiled 'em up that way.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »
Oh boy - the magic word has been seen by Babs  - Lobstah -
 We will be doing the usual bee line to the event, like we do for Bnvle. but the return trip to Chi Town is always Babs vacation time , so we sorta lollygag our way home for few extra days taking in the sights of our beautiful country.   :-o
So here is where we can use a little help from our East Coast friends.  Babs & I would totally appreciate some cool Mom & Pop type places for that delicacy we know as lobster, good eats, and scenery, like historical/fun places as we follow the coast So. a bit before we head west.  No franchises, just more like neighborhood mom & pop eateries.
Any suggestions are truly appreciated.  :-D
Looking forward to a fun weekend of goin fast someplace new, and seeing some old friends, and for sure meeting some new ones.   :cheers:

Respectfully
Jimbo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:40:10 AM by Uncle Jimbo »
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

gkabbt

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:47:06 AM »
Jimbo,

I kinda, sorta did this same thing last year on my way to Loring after leaving the Wilmington July meet.
After I got into Maine, I spent the night in Falmouth which is just north of Portland on US1. A local restaurant, on the water, was recommended by the hotel for lobster rolls and it was VERY good! Sorry, can't remember the name.
The following morning I started heading north on US1 on my way to Bangor via Bar Harbor. You go through quite a few small towns but the scenery was beautiful! Be sure to stop at L. L. Bean in Freeport.....a lot of really cool stuff. Also, I recommend to take side trips while passing through Bath, Boothbay Harbor (just off US1), Rockland, Camden, etc.
Got to Bar Harbor in the early afternoon. Luckily, I've been here in the off season and it was not crowded. This time, it was VERY congested and is still VERY touristy.....Be warned! If you have the time, make sure you go into Acadia National Park as the scenery is really spectacular.
After leaving Bar Harbor I headed to Bangor. There are quite a few roadside "lobster steam shacks" on the way and I stopped at one and had my fill.....Dodge good too! Again, sorry, don't remember the name!
I spent the night in Bangor and the following morning I headed north on 95 to Presque Isle.
It was a really good trip and I would like to do it again sometime but it will not be this year as I will be heading out to Bonneville in September for World of Speed.

Hope this helps and sorry about the restaurant names,
Gregg

Edited to add:
I didn't eat at these places but I was told that Dysart's Truck Stop in Bangor  http://dysarts.com/  and
Grammy's Country Inn, just outside of Houlton, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g40678-d673175-Reviews-Grammy_s_Country_Inn-Houlton_Maine.html
has really good homestyle cooking with large portions. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:19:56 AM by gkabbt »

Jessechop

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »
Coastal Maine sucks in the summer  :-D RT #1 you get to typically stop every 3 miles for construction. Not to worry, the abundance of "Antique" stores littered with lobster buoys and traps makes the trip enjoyable for the first 30 miles. The random passing of a Mass plate SAAB it always entertaining. Just about the time you get to the traffic Camden you decide the interstate is the way to go, trouble is the interstate is 50 miles due west on secondary roads. We play spot the car dealer game. Seems like south of Bangor every person puts 3 cars for sale on their lawn and WHAM they are a dealer. Its kind of a fun game. ..................

I digress. I have lived here my entire life so..well you know the deal. If you want to go costal there are two options. #1 is stay on RT #1 after Houlton. This is a long, crappy ride. By the time you get to Calais you wonder if you are ever going to come out. There is no sites to see, other than dodging the random moose or deer who wants to be part of your trucks grill.

Option B would be travel south to Bangor, take the 395 to 1A and head to Bar Harbor. MDI (island Bar Harbor is on) will give you plenty of options to see the sites (Acadian National Park) plus all kinds of Lobster/Clam/Crab shacks. Plus if you decide it sucks and want to get back on the interstate it isn't a big deal to make the trip back to Bangor (pronounced Bang-er if you live in the southern part of the state. Bang-gore if you are a northerner)

Option C, well not really a option but a recommendation is to stop at the "Scenic Turnout" on the interstate. It is north of Medway exit (North Bound only!) It has a great view of Kathadin. There is a lake infront of the turnout that looks so picturesque. Ehh maybe not, I am applying for a job for Maine tourisim and need the practice. I have no idea what the lake is named, everytime I go up there people always ask what the lake is since I have Maine plates. I usually say it is Loon lake, or reflection pond or whatever other hippy jargon I can think of.

Then after you take in the beauty of the view you can head North to the track. It really is a nice place to stretch. In Caribou (town before the track) there is a small grocery store that sells cooked lobsters if you decide you want some. It is called Sleepers. As a matter of fact I think you can buy a lobster meal to go deal and it includes cole slaw, corn, etc. Not 100% sure though.

But kidding aside, you really cant go wrong on looking for views in Maine. Pick a road and ride around. And if you have questions stop by my pit and ask.My trailer says "Kid Racing" on it. I don't know who Kid is, I just never took it off after I bought the trailer.  :-D And a side note, I might look like I am unhappy and really don't want to talk to you, its just my hard shell. Typically I am a nice enough person.  :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »
Option C, well not really a option but a recommendation is to stop at the "Scenic Turnout" on the interstate. It is north of Medway exit (North Bound only!) It has a great view of Kathadin. There is a lake infront of the turnout that looks so picturesque. Ehh maybe not, I am applying for a job for Maine tourisim and need the practice. I have no idea what the lake is named, everytime I go up there people always ask what the lake is since I have Maine plates. I usually say it is Loon lake, or reflection pond or whatever other hippy jargon I can think of.

Jesse, I'll agree 100% with this.....Really beautiful and breaks up the ride through the Maine Woods.

Gregg