Author Topic: Crimp or solder battery terminals?  (Read 54408 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Crimp or solder battery terminals?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
I prefer the solid end lugs to hold the solder. I also use a small butane torch for more localized heat. Lots of great tips here though.

Offline salt27

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »
The clear heat shrink has no sealant in it and thus is not water proof.

I would recommend a heat shrink made for underground usage that has sealant in it.

Also, it seems to help if you slide the heat shrink on the wire before attaching the lugs ( don't ask how I know). :roll:

Don
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:13:39 PM by salt27 »

Offline gande

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »
I admit clear with glue is not very common, I got the reference from an engineer at a jet engine company. I don't know if it is approved for underground but I have had good luck with this http://www.heatshrink.com/heat_shrink_tubing/w3c_4ft.asp

Gary

Offline salt27

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
I admit clear with glue is not very common, I got the reference from an engineer at a jet engine company. I don't know if it is approved for underground but I have had good luck with this http://www.heatshrink.com/heat_shrink_tubing/w3c_4ft.asp

Gary

Looks like it should work.

Thanks, Don

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
There is definitely clear heat shrink with sealant in it.    However I don't like to leave a gap where the cable goes into the terminal. Over time, it seems to me that if you leave a gap, that is always where the heat shrink starts to wear through or split.  They sell the extra thick sealed stuff where I usually buy wiring supplies. That is what I like to use on batteries.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/electrical-supplies/heat-shrink-tubing/heavy-duty-heat-shrink-with-adhesive
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
The way I solder heavy gauge wire and terminal lugs is as follows:

I use a MAPP gas torch, you want plenty of heat so you can do it quickly before everything gets heat soaked (especially the cable)
Have a plastic spray bottle close by, full of water and set to produce a spray that is almost a solid stream (so you can control what you squirt the water on with a bit of precision)
A junk cotton rag soaked with water is also handy to have close by.

Clean both the cable end and the inside of the terminal so they are bright.
Slide a length of heat shrink tubing over the cable end and slide it back a couple feet so it won't get too hot while soldering.
Paint the cable end and the terminal lug with some zinc chloride soldering flux.

Heat and tin the cable end -- you don't want to over heat it and melt back the insulation too much, just get a thin coating of solder on the outer surface of the cable end.
Pull the heat away immediately when you get a bright coating of solder on the cable end.
(a quick wipe with the wet rag down the insulation of the cable moving toward the cable end helps to avoid the insulation curling back and pulling away from the hot end of the cable)

After it has cooled enough to handle, dress the end of the tinned cable so it has no rough spots and is a snug but sliding fit in the cold terminal, put a bit more soldering flux on it and set it near the vice.
Put the terminal in a vice with two pieces of wood or masonite clamping the lug end so the vice does not suck all the heat out of the terminal.
Heat and tin the terminal. A bit of aluminum foil with a slit in it slid over the terminal and vice jaws will cut down heating of the vice and smoking of the wood pads)

As soon as it is hot enough for the solder to flow, stuff the cable end in the terminal and start feeding solder to the upper end of the terminal (cable end) as you apply the hottest part of the torch flame to the lower end of the terminal and end of the cable. (this takes 3-4 hands so recruit a helper if you can to handle the cable while you handle the solder and heat.)
This causes the solder to wick down toward the hotter terminal and the melting solder acts to cool the standing end of the cable slightly so the body of the cable does not get quite so hot and curl back all the insulation..
As soon as the solder forms a drop on the bottom of the terminal and bitter end of the cable (completely closing off the ends of the strands), pull the heat away and hold the cable very still as the solder chills.

As soon as the solder changes from shiny to mat gray and starts to solidify, take a squirt bottle of plain water and start cooling the lug end clamped in the wood to start drawing heat out of the joint without heat shocking the joint too much by avoiding shooting the water directly on the soldered end of the lug.

Once the joint is cool and dry, clean with a brass brush and alcohol until it is free of soldering flux, and let dry completely.
Paint it with liquid electrical tape, and let it dry.
Slide the heat shrink tubing over the fitting and shrink it.
(you did remember to slide the heat shrink sleeve on the cable a couple feet back so it would not get hot and set while soldering didn't you?)

Paint the end of the cable and the joint ends of the heat shrink tubing with the liquid electrical tape just to be sure it is completely sealed.

If you are really paranoid wrap this with rubber electrical tape or the new self sealing silicone electrical tapes which will self bond into a solid cover after it sets for a while.

Larry

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
I've used "liquid" electrical tape to good advantage for a few things, although I've never put it on a main battery terminal.  The stuff works, though.  We make connections/repairs on the lighting wiring for the rear lights on our big trucks -- and the connections stay good through winter after winter.  Another use was for the thermocouple that we use to measure water temp in the hot tub.  The first 'couple died within a few days of being installed and left underwater continuously.  No doubt in my mind that water got into the connection and crudded up the junction.  So for the next one I coated the last inch or so of the wire and the thermocouple itself -- and here we are, a year later, and no diminution of accuracy has happened.  It still works after a year of continuous immersion in hot water.

It's not a cure all -- but certainly worth having on the shelf in your shop.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
Larry;

I'll agree with everything you posted except the "zinc chloride soldering flux". This is a corrosive flux that will, over time, corrode the copper wire and fail. Stick to a "Radio" flux-- it is rosin based and can be cleaned off with any common solvent. It does not leave a corrosive residue.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
WOW - great discussion with plenty of detailed recommendations!  Threads like this are incredibly valuable to newbies like me.  Thanks again.

I still haven't made up any battery cable terminations, but will be in the near future.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers