Author Topic: spring behind axle on lakester  (Read 7961 times)

Offline chambies

• New folks
spring behind axle on lakester
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
Just starting my belly tank lakester build... I am looking into many different options as far as suspension set up but want to make the most of the wheelbase length. One option I am leaning towards is this spring behind the axle setup by drilling and welding a spring perch into the front wishbones. Does anyone foresee an issue with safety, set up or passing tech?
examples shown here:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900&va=front+suspension+rolling+bones

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: spring behind axle on lakester
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »
My 2 cents would be to get rid of the spring and run a torsion bar set up. Build it with off the shelf parts and you an tune it to track conditions. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »
Tony:  I think the new photo should be for a different sponsor thanks to location of the logo.  How 'bout "chasm"? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline chambies

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
I guess I wanted to stick with a more traditional setup... I am familiar with doing a transverse leaf spring and I know that I would do it safely. However, I just dont want to go that route and later find out that it wont pass a tech inspection for some reason. What about doing a spring behind setup would keep from passing an inspection? I have read that they can ask for magna flux? Rule book doesn't state certain suspensions are banned... seems pretty open.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
It is special construction, nice thing about those classes is innovation is somewhat encouraged... and mostly tolerated. 
Remember everything you hang out in the air is drag... if you are building to challenge records keep the drag as low as possible.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
You can pretty much do what you want. If you do a flat spring in the aero shadow of the axle it will eliminate the drag. I actually prefer a solid mount axle, it eliminates pitch & roll.
  Sid.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
I've got no dog in the fight at all, I'm a bike guy. That said, the main problem I see with suicide front ends is the failure mode. If one of the spring perches, spring, or bones breaks or otherwise parts company, the frame drops to the ground and can dig in, hence the moniker "suicide".

The aero advantages of the design are attractive, but the safety aspects need to be addressed.

I think it should be designed with triple redundancy, so that if any 2 parts fail there is still support for the vehicle to roll out to a controlled stop.

Just my .02.  :cheers:
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline chambies

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
i seriously doubt I will be competitive as far as records go.... I dont have that kind of money. My goals, for now, is to build the belly tank lakester, get through a tech inspection and make some timed runs at Bonneville. I am not new to building projects but very much a newbie in regards to land racing. I have lots of old for parts and am very interested in the V4F engine class. Thank you for the responses. I will try to start a build thread and keep some pics posted on progress.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 05:55:46 AM »
I've got no dog in the fight at all, I'm a bike guy. That said, the main problem I see with suicide front ends is the failure mode. If one of the spring perches, spring, or bones breaks or otherwise parts company, the frame drops to the ground and can dig in, hence the moniker "suicide".

The aero advantages of the design are attractive, but the safety aspects need to be addressed.

I think it should be designed with triple redundancy, so that if any 2 parts fail there is still support for the vehicle to roll out to a controlled stop.

You might want to re-look at a motorcycle front end before you yell "suicide", where's your redundancy there?
A transverse front end is only called suicide if it has no structure above the axle. I've been rodding & racing since the 60's & have never actually seen or heard of a failure.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
chambies--  pls fill out your profiel  so that we know where you are hiding out  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 02:11:52 AM »

You might want to re-look at a motorcycle front end before you yell "suicide", where's your redundancy there?
A transverse front end is only called suicide if it has no structure above the axle. I've been rodding & racing since the 60's & have never actually seen or heard of a failure.
  Sid.

Exactly my point, actually. I was just pointing out that he needs to make sure that he has structure above the axle to catch it and prevent the frame from digging in in the even of a failure, and NOT build it "suicide style".

I haven't been rodding & racing nearly as long as you, but I have seen broken springs, shackles, and perches in my time, in custom built and mass produced vehicles.

As far as bikes go, it's a risk that we find acceptable, and if you look at most front end designs, they are way overstressed for the loads they're expected to carry, but I've seen them fail also.   :cheers:
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
Mine has been that way for 43 years with no problems. Been 216. It's on a roadster. Spring perchs are mounted to holes drilled in the wings welded to the axle, 4-5" dropped tube. Spring eyes are upside down. One side solid. Caster adjusts with the hairpins and tapered shims on the spring mount. Trouble free..................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro