Author Topic: Should the starter wire to +battery terminal pass through the disconnect?  (Read 9489 times)

Offline SteveM

To meet the rules, and typical standards, is it common for the positive wire from the battery to the starter pass through the main battery disconnect, or not?

All of the other electrical functions will be controlled by this disconnect switch, but I don't have a good idea whether or not the main starter wire should be "broken" by the switch, or remain direct from the battery to the starter.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
The battery is not truly disconnected unless all wiring goes through the battery "OFF" switch.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

Truth. 

I'm just not sure with the common application in the actual race vehicles.

Steve.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
The battery must go thru the disconnect switch
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

If the battery is off, does the starter turn the engine over?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SteveM

Thanks guys.  I just want to be sure that what I'm doing is correct.

Steve.

Offline Jon

I know it's not the question that was asked but be mindful of the alternator wiring.

If an alternator is charging and not isolated the motor won't be killed by isolating the battery by an emergency crew.

The likelyhood of coming severely unstuck and ending up with a still running motor is low I know but unsure how things are checked in scrutineering, guessing the motor would have to stop on isolation.
Easily covered with dual contact isolation switches, there are other ways to do it but generally involve more stuff to play up.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Steve, PM sent.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline redhotracing

Steve-
I run all of the engine and cockpit functions to a battery disconnect switch the
driver can reach, which is then connected to the "rear" battery disconnect. My
alternator is routed to the rear switch in case of a driver being unconscious.
Either way, a conscious driver or emergency crews can cut power to the engine
in case of emergency. Redundancy is always a good thing.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Possibly a silly question but I would like to have two batteries with two disconnects side by side. One to run strictly the engine and one to run the rest of the stuff. They would be labeled as such.
Any problem with this?
Reasoning I was helping another liner at one time and we actually had to run the engine off of a dewalt cordless battery....because of some issues. Would like to not have that problem in the future.
Both Disconnects and batteries are shown here.
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline RidgeRunner

Why not tie the two disconnect handles together along the lines of a multi carb linkage set up so one knob or handle operates both switches at the same time?

Ed

Offline Dean Los Angeles

The disconnect switch has nothing to do with your operation of the vehicle or your wants and needs.

It is there so the safety crew can quickly kill ALL power from EVERY source with ONE switch.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jl222

The disconnect switch has nothing to do with your operation of the vehicle or your wants and needs.

It is there so the safety crew can quickly kill ALL power from EVERY source with ONE switch.

We run two disconnect switches one for the driver, one in back, because it can be awhile before safety crew arrive.

And there can also be other problems other than a crash.

JL222

Offline 1leg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-1330022/

one switch, cable operated by the driver and/or by a lever in the back of the car by emergency crew.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
That Summit stuff is nice but pricey. I made mine from a spare chute cable. Fabed a linkage that connected the push knob trunk shut off to a cable and made a handle on the trans tunnel. Push the orange handle forward and all power is cut at the trunk switch. I splurged for a $20 billet knob from the Chassis Shop for the trunk knob. The rest was made from the scrap box.  My 1/0 wire runs under the car outside the frame rail to the starter. I jump a 4/0 wire from the starter to a bulkhead stud to bring power into the driver's compartment.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM