Author Topic: who's your favorite ECTA volunteer!  (Read 10140 times)

Offline runt13

who's your favorite ECTA volunteer!
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
All the volunteers are great, however everyone has to have a favorite!

Mine would be Al. [remember never argue with Al!] LOL
who would have guessed it would take so long to go so fast for such a short time?

2012 Wilmington mile
April meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record, 132.601mph

September meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 139.915mph [bump]
p/pp-1650/4 record 142.364 mph
p/pp-2000/4 record 140.009 mph
p/pp-3000/4 record 144.511 mph

2013 Wilmington mile
July meet,
m/pg-1650/4 record 137.278
m/pg-2000/4 record 136.695

Sept meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 141.1986 [bump]

2014  Wilmington mile
May meet
p/pp-1340/4 record 142.5855 [bump]

Offline Uncle Jimbo

Re: who's your favorite ECTA volunteer!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
I think they are all great !  Without the volunteers we would have a tuff time having all this LSR fun.
I'd also add a big thanks to Joe - Keith and the board for all their time & work.    :cheers:

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »
I kinda lean towards the girls, Tonya & Donna  :cheers:

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
I second what Dan said.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
Sometimes forgotten are the tech inspectors, most of them racers, who give their
time to make sure your junk is right before going to the line. These men and
women put off working on their own stuff to ensure a safer, more organized event.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:29:57 AM »
I don't know any names.But from the moment we pulled with the race bike lashed to our old motor home we were made to feel like we belonged there.
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Offline RacerX9623

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »
I vote for Kim. She is always greeting everyone at the gate. Rain or shine her and Bill are there. :cheers:
trying to go 200 KPH with a 250cc four stroke.

Offline landspeedrich

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »
I say they all do a great job!But my personal favorite is Scott Griswald down at the turn out.He's especially helped us out at Bonneville in the past  :cheers:   Rich     Salt Flyer crew

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
I'm my favorite!!!  :-D :cheers:
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline runt13

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
LMFAO
who would have guessed it would take so long to go so fast for such a short time?

2012 Wilmington mile
April meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record, 132.601mph

September meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 139.915mph [bump]
p/pp-1650/4 record 142.364 mph
p/pp-2000/4 record 140.009 mph
p/pp-3000/4 record 144.511 mph

2013 Wilmington mile
July meet,
m/pg-1650/4 record 137.278
m/pg-2000/4 record 136.695

Sept meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 141.1986 [bump]

2014  Wilmington mile
May meet
p/pp-1340/4 record 142.5855 [bump]

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Sometimes forgotten are the tech inspectors, most of them racers, who give their
time to make sure your junk is right before going to the line. These men and
women put off working on their own stuff to ensure a safer, more organized event.
Yep - that maybe an important almost forgotten crew.  Plus if I may add - I guess I could confidently say that the ECTA family of Volunteers and racers, both bikes and cages, are some of the finest people around.   Always kind, considerate and ready to help out in whatever way they can, with a smile.  :-D
No doubt in my mind also, that the new venue at Wilmington for the ECTA event is a big time winner  :cheers:
Its a fun, safe track - we'll be coming back, for sure.

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
The volunteers with the least obvious job are the people who set up and "tear down" the course, parking areas, staging lanes.....and anybody there can be a proud member of this team. You can't get in if you don't see Kim and you don't see Kim and not love her. You can't get registered without meeting atleast one of the inspectors (you can choose if it's pleasant or not) and then you get the absolute joy of Tonya and Donna. You can't get on the course without the start line crew ruled by the bomb Al. You can't really know, much less prove, how you've performed without the timing and time keeping staff. So this ultimately is a shout out to my bro's in shutdown. After the timing lights and slowing down, it's only natural to be focused on the next pass or just soaring on the adrenaline. Shutdown is a fairingly boring position until it becomes a deadfully important position. Racers who stop and say thanks - AFTER they are safely off the course are a nice encouragement. Miss y'all the most and here's to having nothing to do in shutdown!

LittleLiner

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
The volunteers with the least obvious job are the people who set up and "tear down" the course, parking areas, staging lanes.....and anybody there can be a proud member of this team. You can't get in if you don't see Kim and you don't see Kim and not love her. You can't get registered without meeting atleast one of the inspectors (you can choose if it's pleasant or not) and then you get the absolute joy of Tonya and Donna. You can't get on the course without the start line crew ruled by the bomb Al. You can't really know, much less prove, how you've performed without the timing and time keeping staff. So this ultimately is a shout out to my bro's in shutdown. After the timing lights and slowing down, it's only natural to be focused on the next pass or just soaring on the adrenaline. Shutdown is a fairingly boring position until it becomes a deadfully important position. Racers who stop and say thanks - AFTER they are safely off the course are a nice encouragement. Miss y'all the most and here's to having nothing to do in shutdown!
Ken (aka; relaxedphit) hit it right on the nose.  I agree completely.
I have been AWOL from volunteering for about two years and miss it a lot.  At Maxton I had the good fortune to volunteer at various positions over a few years.  I worked the gate with Kim one meet, helped 'cat herd' the staging lanes once and even worked the tower one meet.  All cool jobs . . . . but my first choice position is shutdown.  Like Ken said, . . .In shutdown we look forward to a very boring, totally routine, incident free day.  That's a perfect day.   Best thing about shutdown . . . being able to see smiling riders and drivers as they leave the course.

All that said . . . I don't think any of the volunteers are much interested in being the racer's favorite volunteer.  The whole team is like a chain.  If one link fails the whole chain fails. 

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Having been involved in the volunteer process for several years I have to tell you that ALL are the best!  There's just no way to pick out one or the other although Keith and Joe try to do so when awards are handed out. 

I should remind all that as much as we all love Tonya and Donna, they are not technically "volunteers" but "staff".  That doesn't mean that they shouldn't get a HUGE shout-out.  Along with the vols, they're the best.  Joe and Keith just ride on their coat tails (I'll catch "it" for this later!).

My favorite is ALL of them.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
I don't think Tonya and Donna qualify as volunteers but from the first time attended a meet at Maxton the two of them were more help to me advising where to go for tech inspections, rookie orientation when to go etc. They don't ever seem to get a break and there is always a double line standing in front of them.
All of the volunteers do a great job and not being able to stand for very long it amazes me at how all of them are on their feet from very early morning to very late evening.
Here comes the but, Al and his starting line crew probably make more me comfortable especially the first few meets I went to. I knew I was accepted when because I am an insomniac and got to the track at 4:45AM at the inaugural Ohio mile and was the first participate down the track Al went to his car, got his camera and took a couple of pictures of my truck. He then Opened the door and to avoid SSS having to bleep me, Al told me something I won't repeat and I said yes sir I won't.
garrell patterson