Author Topic: Rigid mount front suspension on lakester  (Read 5332 times)

Offline chambies

• New folks
Rigid mount front suspension on lakester
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »
Hello all, fairly new to the forum... i am starting my belly tank lakester build. I will be doing a build thread just as soon as i can get some pics and a little more progress. But what I would like to know a little more about is doing a rigid front suspension on a belly tank. I see a lot of pictures that show a transverse spring and shocks... but what about a solid mount. I have heard about streamliners running rigid & going really fast but is it optimal on a belly tank to have some suspension??? Please dispense some knowledge... Pics help too. Thanks!

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Rigid mount front suspension on lakester
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:09:13 AM »
I'm debating this issue for the rear of my lakester. When I posted the question here, the general response was that the venue is the big question- salt, dry lakes, or pavement. Where are you located?
I see that we're in the "Rules" forum; I've seen nothing in the rules against solid suspension.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:11:21 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:53 AM »
My humble opinion is that you build with the provision for a suspension because then you can run one if you find you need it. If you build with the intention of having no suspension then you won't have the option to go to one if you feel you need it without a massive amount of work and expense. With a short wheelbase car there's probably an advantage to having a suspension just so you can keep the wheels in contact with the salt most of the time under most conditions. This should help alleviate spins.

Remember, this is an opinion. Go to the rule book if you're looking for rules. Opinions are worth whatever you feel they're worth.

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Rigid mount front suspension on Lakester
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
How fast?  Some suspension is really good on  cars up to 200... after 160-170 everything smooths out and your car is riding on the tops anyway. 
With that said, we have suspension front and back on the Lakester and front on the liner.  It is handy for getting through that first mile without too much blurred vision
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Good to see you posting here chambies!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »
On a belly tank I would run a front suspension.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
We have suspension both front and rear on our lakester. However it hasn't made it out of the basement yet. Started building the car for Maxton where the track was ROUGH.

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »

Going back about 55 yrs our Dusters club dragster [ k88 rings a bell ] had a round tube for front of chassis
with  VW beatle suspension [torsion leaf springs anchored in middle with links to axel] must of had end caps with slots for leafs to come through and caps  must have been able to rotate. a clean look, and Beatles
had a great ride on rough hard dirt roads.

Maybe someone can remember more or post a pic.

JL222