Author Topic: Epoxy Primer  (Read 3487 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Epoxy Primer
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
I need to paint part of my chassis and some brackets but I need an epoxy primer under the top coat.

Spray can "epoxy" primer is not really epoxy or so I've been told. However, Eastwood and others also sell a two-part epoxy primer in a spray can, called "2K" in white, gray, or black epoxy primer. The can has a small vial of hardener inside that is activated by breaking its seal and then shaking the can to mix the two parts together. The pot life is 4 days.

Has anyone tried this stuff? If so, what did you think of the results? I know I could buy a quart, mix the stuff and use a spray gun but the clean-up for such a small job doesn't make that an attractive choice.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: Epoxy Primer
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
Neil,  When I have had to weld something on after the metal has been primed and painted ( with Du Pont or PPG self etching primer) and I need to prime and paint again I have used SEM etching primer spray cans with great results.

I also have made small batches of primer and used my air brush.
I have found that you have very little waste if you use a gravity feed gun. The siphon feed gun leaves a lot of product in the bottle.

Be sure and use a good respirator. For small things I spray outside. The fumes are killer.

Doug Odom in big ditch 
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Thanks, Doug. Do you know if that SEM primer is compatible with a polyurethane top coat? Do you get that primer locally or by mail order?

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
Neil, I get mine from the local automotive paint supply store.

You can try www.semproducts.com  for more info.

Doug in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
Never have used the Eastwood product but have good results with brush applied two part primer.  A two-part sealer was recommended for finishing my wood mold on last year's make-a-windshield project.  It is Duratec vinyl ester coating.  I had a lot left over so I used it to prime some metal parts before painting.  It was applied by brush, sanded smooth, and top coated with enamel.  It is working well.  Surface prep is important just like with any other paint.  www.duratec1.com is the address on the label.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:47:46 PM »
I have used the 2K clear for a number of guitars!!!! Works great!!!! (for guitars at least!)

I should change my name to 'No Help Jones'.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
Thanks, Doug. Do you know if that SEM primer is compatible with a polyurethane top coat? Do you get that primer locally or by mail order?

Talk to your paint rep. But, I have used SEM under lots of 2 part top coats with good results.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
We use both sem and dupont rattle can etching primer often on small metal and aluminum parts and have put all sorts of top coats over them. Been happy with both products.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean