Author Topic: APS height of tail section?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
APS height of tail section?
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
Is there a rule regarding the maximum height of the tail section fr an AMA Altered Partially Streamilined bike? I can find a height rule for open class, but not for APS. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:54:54 PM by Racerwrtr »
Turning Motion Into Progress

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
Re: APS height of tail section?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
Really? More than 40 land speed record folks have read my question and nobody knows the answer?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
I think no one answered because they don't want to be interpreting the rules wrongly and lead you astray. But I don't think you should read anything into the rules. Since it does not specifically mention a max tail height there must not be a maximum for APS (unlike the 5" limitation for A class). The height of my tail section is about 10" above the seat and there was no problem with it.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
Excellent! Thank you for your answer-it was what I needed to know. Last year I set some FIM and AMA records with my 150 kg elrctric bike. This year I am only running AMA and have a whole new front fairing-but there is no longer any roon in the front for the battery packs, so I want to put them in a aero box on the tail. Chip Yates ad quite a huge box on hs e-bike a couple years ago and I plan on the same thing, but wanted a confirmation that I was reading the rules right. Again, thanks for telling me about your experience.

Kevin

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:26:32 AM »
Kevin,
I think you were pitted next to me last year.  I remember Chip Yates bike and at first I thought that all that weight that high on the bike would make for an ill handling machine.  But Mr. Yates also road races that thing, so I guess it's not so much of an issue.  But beware that a lot of weight hanging that far back will put a lot of strain on your subframe.  A little strengthening may be required.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »
Tom

Yes, I remember you! The good news is that the lithium polymer batteries I am using now ( the kind used in radio control aircraft) are light enough that the weight isn't much worse than carrying around a medium-sized child. I've had the bike out in the neighbrhood ( the advantage of a very quiet electric bike) and at low speeds at least it feels fine. I dd think abut adding some extra braces, so good call on your part. Will you be back this year?

Kevin