Author Topic: Ogden, Utah Wind Tunnel  (Read 9709 times)

Offline Tom Burkland

• New folks
Ogden, Utah Wind Tunnel
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
We just spent a very informative day in the new Darko wind tunnel here in Ogden, Utah with the 631 comp coupe. This type of testing on full scale vehicles with up to 25 square feet of frontal area has traditionally been very difficult to access, very expensive to accomplish, and required long travel distances to reach. The Darko operation recently opened by Layne Christensen has solved many of these issues for land speed racers, both car and motorcycle. The tunnel itself is similar to A2 back east, but only a couple miles east of the I-15 12th street exit in Ogden, Utah. Test time in this tunnel is filling up quickly with bicyclists scheduled for a seminar with a nationally aclaimed aerodynamicist during the second week of July and the olympic ski jumping team "flying" in the tunnel during the third week of July. Many of you will drive past this facility on your way to Bonneville, or be close enough to consider this type of testing as part of your land speed racing programs. It is only 140 miles from Wendover and 30 miles north of the SLC airport. I think it is a wonderful opportunity to have access to this type of facility for land speed aerodynamic testing in this area. Both the Burkdoll and Nish teams have taken advantage of this testing capability as well.
If you would like to discuss your testing needs and scheduling details contact Layne Christensen at 801-648-7016, or info@darkotech.com. He will have a website and promotional materials available in the near future, but the facility is fully operational now.
Remember "its all about the air" and good luck with your projects.
Tom Burkland

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Ogden, Utah Wind Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
Thanks Tom for the update and link---this is something that I will want to do to find out how much lift I have in the front--there is a long history of LSR cars lifting in the front end---usually way more than was suspected.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
I must drive right by that place! Glad to see them up and running.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Tom. I just checked the Darko website and saw pictures of-- among others-- the beautiful blue "Saab Story" of Rex Svoboda.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 631

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »
We validated a couple of assumptions about the Saab, figured out a little handling glitch, reduced a bunch of drag and marveled at 1947 design technology.
The tunnel time is expensive but for my car the project was absolutely cost effective compared to making changes at the salt. Having  data to support the car's 300 mph aerodynamic stability was worth the price of admission by itself. Layne was great to work with and the facility is easy in and out for LSR vehicles. My first exposure to a wind tunnel and our big take away lesson was to have a very definite plan of what you want to test for,  all your materials and tools layed out and treat it like an F-1 pit stop when making changes.  Layne provided a prep sheet a week before with good instructions on how it all goes so we were able to be prepared.   We had a fun time, learned a lot and didn't break any parts or cut a tire- the only thing missing was 400 other teams and a bunch of noise...coming in August.

Offline Bratfink

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
Nice to see this sort of facility being seriously considered by teams. Good work.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
Update!

Rex Svoboda's brand new streamliner sidecar. One of the last vehicles to test at the Darko Technologies Wind Tunnel. The wind tunnel will be closing soon. We have been given notice by the landlord that they are marketing the space to other interests. The building costs have been too high for us to remain in business. If you are planning to get into the wind tunnel, you can reserve a date in May and we should be able to help you. The sooner the better.

It has been a real pleasure helping so many racers go faster and safer.

Regards,

Layne Christensen
Darko Technologies Wind Tunnel
801-648-7016
info@darkotech.com
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...