Author Topic: caster-camber-toe independent rear  (Read 2365 times)

Offline hotrodrobb

• New folks
caster-camber-toe independent rear
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
hi guys im building a tanker with an independent rear anybody know what kind of alignment specs i should use

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: caster-camber-toe independent rear
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:23 PM »
What  kinda fluid do you intend hauling with your "tanker", water, diesel or milk?
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
0 all the way around, at speed is my guess... mostly because our lakester has 0 and it seems to work.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »
I'd like to see just a touch of toe in just to make sure that there's no toe out. Toe out on the rear, especially if that's the end that feeds the power to the ground can be treacherous. Make sure that you don't have any bump steer and if you do it never gets to the point of toe out.

If you can give more details as to the type of independent suspension you're using I may be able to give more detail. In the rear the caster setting usually governs bump steer.

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
hi guys im building a tanker with an independent rear anybody know what kind of alignment specs i should use

Alignment is secondary to building a suspension with good geometry. No amount of alignment will fix a bad design.

I'd recommend using the trial version of Suspension Analyzer v2.4 from Performance trends Inc. You can try various things and see an immediate graphical result. If you want to buy it, and I'd recommend anyone who is building their own car do that, the cost is reasonable.

I used this software to design a 5-link rear suspension for my MS.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ