Author Topic: Are two fuel filters really needed?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Are two fuel filters really needed?
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
I have read where you must have a 100 micron fuel filter between the tank and pump (EFI System) and another one between the pump and injectors. I am re-vamping my Hayabusa fuel system and room is very tight. I have a 10 micron filter and was planning on using it between tank and the pump. It is supposed to flow 160 GPH at 7 PSI.

How many others are using a pre and post filter arrangement? I have only used one filter before.

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline RansomT

Re: Are two fuel filters really needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
I would NOT recommend what I do for anyone!  Repeat, don't do what I do.

I don't run a filter at all, haven't for years. Not enough room under the tank for all the nitrous stuff, fuel pump, FPR and those 3/8" fuel lines.  However, I do clean and flow the injectors on a regular basis.

Now my FI race car, I run the 2 filter setup.  First filter to protect the pump, second one to keep crap out of the injectors. Oddly, I've blown that engine up many more times than my Hayabusa.

Offline maj

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »
Do not try this at home ;)
same sort of thing as Ransom but for a  pre pump strainer ,
and i clean the injector screens at the start of the season (3 meetings in a month )

and try to be vary particular with funnels etc so there is minimal chance of contamination

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
Pumps are made to make flow under pressure and they do not suck well. A 10 micron between the pump and the tank will make the pump cavitate and fail. If you can only install one filter do the 10 micron between the pump  and the injectors. Also don't believe the flow vs. pressure drop numbers as that is for a clean filter and after a little use it will not be clean

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.