Author Topic: AN Fittings  (Read 11069 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: AN Fittings
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »
Great feedback.

Australia has an awesome AN fitting company...all of their fittings are destined to flow and they are every bit the quality of our premium brands. The fittings have a unique trick look to them. Can't think of the name but I met them as the PRI show.

I don't want to use names of retailers because they would be more than happy to squash me. All of the big catalogs sell the aero quip, Russell or Earls, then they have a house brand. My Asian supplier build fittings for two of the big catalog companies. Some are private brand labeled and others are the exact same fittings that I can order.

True about the salt, a lot of electrolysis action too with the S/S hose and the static electricity from the fluids running through.

My new line will be price positioned above the Asian ANs but below the premium American made fittings. We will have the superman red/blue, black, polished, nickel and 3AN steal. S/S hose and black nylon covered hoses, filters, Y's and bungs. The best part about a domestic supplier is I can drop ship those rare oddball fittings that we sometimes need and help someone. With the Asian supplier to air ship a DHL envelope is $60.00. Making it impractical to get the odd or special order stuff in a timely and cost effective manner.

Thank you all for the great input.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
I have never seen a problem with "cheaper" AN fittings but have seen a problem with "cheaper" braided stainless hose. The rubber disintergrated from race gas.

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Great feedback.

Australia has an awesome AN fitting company...all of their fittings are destined to flow and they are every bit the quality of our premium brands. The fittings have a unique trick look to them. Can't think of the name but I met them as the PRI show.

BR

Seeing as you brought it up...... http://www.speedflow.com.au/index.html   https://www.facebook.com/speedflowuk?fref=ts

I met one of the owners of this little Aussie battler company recently, like you I would buy patriotically!  :cheers:

Graham

Offline RacerX9623

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
I buy the AN fittings I use on EBay. Mostly from Jegs. I had no idea there was Chinese knock offs.untill I read this thread. Silly me.
 But my question is what size wrenches do you use? I purchased two sets of aluminum AN wrenches. Then I used a file and made sizes I need. I guess the good ones are proper size and the knock off is something not metric and not SAE. I don't know.
trying to go 200 KPH with a 250cc four stroke.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
For five bucks you can have a chance at getting a good set of wrenches.  See the "contest" notice at the top of the Forum page.  Send your $$ via Paypal.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »
For double open end wrenches -04, -06, -08, -10, -12, -16 there are typically a socket and a nut wrench for each. Usually -03 and -20 you use a crescent for the socket.
If your ANs need a size adjustment they are probably built to low tolerances. If the spread easy then they are probably not 6061 T-6 but rather a lower grade aluminum. Without knowing what you purchased it is hard to tell about the wrench size. I think the AN -3 to -20 are the same hose size and the AN nut/sockets are the same AN size just the nut is threaded in mm versus SAE. 

One way to compromise is to use the name brand fittings on critical fluids like dry sumps and fuel lines and the lower end fittings on vent lines, over flows and such. Just a thought.

BR

I buy the AN fittings I use on EBay. Mostly from Jegs. I had no idea there was Chinese knock offs.untill I read this thread. Silly me.
 But my question is what size wrenches do you use? I purchased two sets of aluminum AN wrenches. Then I used a file and made sizes I need. I guess the good ones are proper size and the knock off is something not metric and not SAE. I don't know.

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
Bill, I'll get a final tally of the number of entries tomorrow at the end of the day and send it to you either late night or Saturday morning.  I'll give you details -- including, of course, the total number of entries so you can input that to your random number thingie.

Thanks again for the idea.  It's worked well.  Well enough, in fact, that someone else is proposing a similar "contest".  I plan to give it a rest for a little while, though -- so the builders can get to building and the racers to (bench) racing.  After all - it's less than two months 'til SpeedWeek.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
Jon,
That is good news.
You are correct, Speedweek is all that matters now. Gotta save some money to afford a private Honey Bucket!
Send me a PM on how and when you want to announce the winner. That is, if the NSA does not leak the winner's name first!  :-D

Good luck to all and it still not too late.

BR

Bill, I'll get a final tally of the number of entries tomorrow at the end of the day and send it to you either late night or Saturday morning.  I'll give you details -- including, of course, the total number of entries so you can input that to your random number thingie.

Thanks again for the idea.  It's worked well.  Well enough, in fact, that someone else is proposing a similar "contest".  I plan to give it a rest for a little while, though -- so the builders can get to building and the racers to (bench) racing.  After all - it's less than two months 'til SpeedWeek.

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »
Jon, it picked up a lot faster once on the cover page, next one should have bold and colorful letters so it gets the attention of the readers. Glead this is working out. It's a good deal for all and it supports the landracing budget.  Thanks Wheeler Dealer.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
Interesting observation, Glen.  I got it on the Forum's home page by asking Bob to put it there, and he offered to do that bit gratis -- his contribution.  Thanks for letting me know that you feel it was a wise move.

That's it for me tonight -- Nancy just headed for the ablutionarium and I will be right behind her.  G'night, all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
I have always had good luck with Aeroquip and that is what I use whenever possible. XRP is awesome but $$$$, also not sure but I believe they are US made.

There are too many imports to list really but I have used Red Horse and they are pretty nice and cheap and don't seem to suffer from some of the issues that others do.

IF I could plumb everything with aeroquip pusklock, I would.

Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
Bill the other thing is, some people like myself don't care for a certain style of fitting. For me, I don't like cutter style fittings. I see that your supplier has both?????      Another reason I like Aeroquip and especially not Earls.

Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:51 AM »
I use Aeroquip and BMRS, and like good tools they wont let you down when you least expect it.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
Bob

your avatar never lets me down either!  :cheers:

I use Aeroquip and BMRS, and like good tools they wont let you down when you least expect it.  Tony

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
I think I've used every brand there is. I have no favorite just wish they were closer color matched between brands. It's hard too worry about brands when you buy 4 milk crates full of fittings (some new) for $250 at a swap meet. I agree about hoses, really look at fuel lines closely every year and never leave anything in them. Fuel tank too..........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro