Author Topic: Rust prevention  (Read 6606 times)

Offline bobh

Rust prevention
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Has anyone tried this product for rust protection? I found it in one of the design news magazines here at work. www.hinderrust.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Rust prevention
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
BobH

Interesting product, I may have to try it.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
I looks like if you are going to use this product on your pick-up it would go on before you ever drive it on the salt. The worst problem I have ever has is with cast iron brake parts ei: rotors, calipers, etc. I have had disc rotors rust from the inside out. For some reason drive shafts are not painted from the factory and this may be a good product for them.

For the most part I have found a lot of defectors and mud flaps....Also a new truck every 8 years works for me too......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
  Okay, I am a smartass but I can't resist this one:  the best rust preventive at Bonneville:  Leave it at home.............  I have had drill bit indexes, air drive ratchets, spare push rods, and I swear, my knees grow barnicles and rust while doing little or nothing.................. Bob
Bob Drury

Offline AJR192

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
One Run spends more time working on the Tow Truck at the salt than he does racing. Only Tom Beatty has a higher record of Tow truck engine swaps on the salt but he did it to get another run in his Belly Tank............LOL

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:45 PM »
Anyone tried Spray Defender by 3-M? Wonder if it will stick to anything other than paint. I can see lots of uses to prevent corrosion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DEnmQa7bhDQ
John

Offline 8pack

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
I am using fluid fill this year. I have a gallon with the spray gun sitting in the shop waiting for the end of July.

http://www.fluid-film.com/
Redline is a Goal. Not a limit.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:45:32 AM »
The problem with a plastic film barrier is, if the salt somehow gets under it, can create some horrible localized corrosion.  Last year I put some clear plastic packing tape over the numbers and stickers on my fairing.   I thought I did a good job of sealing everything up tight.  Salt got past the barrier in a few places and it corroded pits and holes in the underlying sheet aluminum. 

Offline nebulous

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 12:31:08 PM »
I mix drain oil with dolomite and spray it thick
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
I use Cosmoline aerosol spray on much of my equipment. It takes solvent or gas to remove it but it works well for me.
John

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
I picked up a product called "NEVER WET" by Rust-oleum Industrial Brands. I gave it a test drive on my trailer hitch yesterday when I stopped at the Salt. I grabbed a handfull of the salt goop at the end of the road and put it on the hitch piece and it slid off without leaving a trace. It's a two step deal and it leaves a white uneven looking film so it will be for underneath stuff but I'm going to do more testing, hopefully next week at the Shootout. So far I'm very impressed. It's about $25 and if it saves my pickup it's certainly worth every penny. I'll let you know how it works out. By the way, I bought at a bearing supply house. Wayno

Offline Papi

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
So far we like Boeshield (T-9) on Aluminum for corrosion protection.]

That NEVER-WET stuff Wayno mentioned is a hydrophobic coating and is pretty cool. We are trying it now also.
Here's the companies website: http://www.neverwet.com/

Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club