Author Topic: Indy Roadsters  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Stan Back

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Indy Roadsters
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
Thanks for posting those Stan.

If you're ever in Indianapolis it's really worthwhile going over to the Speedway and going through the museum. There's always a large selection of cars on display and the show is continually rotated as they have a lot more cars in storage or under restoration at any one time. The museum is open all year and is just inside the main gate of the Speedway.

I never tire of going through the museum and usually include a trip over there when I'm in town.

Pete

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
If your really nice to Donal Davidson he will give you a tour of the museum basement, talk about King Tuts tomb!  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
The 40's &50's were definitely my favorite. Those were the days especially the paint. In those days in an accident the cars lived and the drivers didn't.... So much safer today but not as nice to look at....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
Tony....Or swing by Buck Boudeman`s collection....Maybe take the Novi out for a lap or two around Gull Lake.....
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Bucks collection is great, at one time he had 4 of the Miller Ford's built  :-o .  The Novi has some great history on the salt, originally built to take on Ab Jenkins record and later driven by his son Marv to a few records. He once told me he still has the rear fin and canopy from the salt for the car. Talk about history.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline floydjer

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
And let`s not leave out his stunning re-creation of the Golden Submarine....I should have married for money. :wink: JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »
I have fond memories of hearing his Novi run at Meadowbrook.....Made my short hairs stand on end.................. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
I went to a number of Indy 500 races in the 60s and saw the Novi a few times.  I remember noting how all 33 cars could be coming down the main straight - while they were still pretty well bunched up -- and I could close my eyes and pick out the Novi just by the sound.  Way louder than the others - and different sounding, too.  Ah, the fun memories.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
I think the Miller Reunion, a yearly deal, is soon to be held at the Milwaukee Mile. Check the Jalopy Journal site(HAMB) for updates.

This meet is on my list.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth