Author Topic: Fire Systems  (Read 14432 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
Fire Systems
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »
OK, I now have three 10lb halon systems that apparently cannot be used anymore. 2 were never hooked up that came with the liner I am working on.
Before I spend 600-700 each for some new 10 LB systems, what are the options for landracing? There is one I see that is user refillable? What is legal? What are the differences?

Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Fire Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
Why can't you use the halon? do the bottles show low?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »
 Burton, I second Stainless.  I see you live in Wisconsin, so go to your nearest Fire Extinguisher servicing outlet (usually a Safety Apperal store).
  As long as you bring in a copy of the sales brochure that shows the "full" Weight or if the bottle shows the "full"weight on it, all they have to do is weigh it and certify that the bottle has been inspected "by weight and appearance" only, meaning that the gauge does not appear to be tampered with.
  There is one unscrupulous company that will tell you that the bottles are out of date, or his own filler is no longer good, that the SCTA is a bunch of Asshol*s, and that Jim Deist was the biggest Asshol* of all.
  I won't name him but he is in Florida.                                Bob (AND IF HE WANTS TO ARGUE THE POINT, BRING IT ON...........).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:09:27 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
When we got our three Halon bottles years ago, I noticed one was noticeably lighter than the rest.  Way lighter.  The gauge was in the same position as the others.  I took it to our local fire extinguisher company and the technician said the gauges will stay "green" with just a pound of pressure in them.  (Your results may vary.)  The manufacturer replaced the defective one at no cost.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
  Just a note on my previous post.
  I had no problem with the "Florida" product, just the Service side.
  The gentleman I am referring to seemingly didn't see any $$$ signs in our discussion (I simply had asked for the Full Weight of the Five Pound bottles.... and the rant began).
  I had previously dealt with the Company when they were located in Indiana and had pleasant dealings with them.                            Bob
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
We interrupt this thread for a message from the emergency broadcast system.

Just for the record, Bob is not talking about Parkland Autosport. It just happens we too are in Florida and sell fire systems. Besides, if Bob called me I would take care of him.

Bob I hope you don't mind but even though it was coincidence I wanted to let people know.

Please resume the regularly scheduled discussion.

BR

Just a note on my previous post.
  I had no problem with the "Florida" product, just the Service side.
  The gentleman I am referring to seemingly didn't see any $$$ signs in our discussion (I simply had asked for the Full Weight of the Five Pound bottles.... and the rant began).
  I had previously dealt with the Company when they were located in Indiana and had pleasant dealings with them.                            Bob
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
  Wheeler, No it was not you or ANY other dealer, it was whom ever answers the phone at the Manufacturer.  And as I said in my last post, it isn't about the product, just the person.
  Jim Deist had sold their product until Cold Fire came along.  In this guys mind Jim Deist = SCTA, and the rest is History.
  If I ever need service again you can count on my calling you.  I believe in supporting our own and  see no reason to change products, just who and where it is accomplished.............................................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
  Burton, who told you they are illegal?  They may not be re-fillable but if they are fully charged Halon, they ONLY need certification BY WEIGHT to prove they are FULL.
  If they are in a STEEL Bottle, they DO NOT GO OUT OF DATE.  Period.
  Your only concern shoud be that you are trusting your or your drivers LIFE on them............................ Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
Just so everyone knows, Wheelrdealer is the man that sponsors the cash

donations and the presents for the ladies at Bonneville NW Reunion.

I was so impressed that a man from Florida felt for an event in the Pacific Northwest.

Whenever any of you can, please support him.

Bill is our kinda' fellow. He handles fire systems and fittings for hoses.

Check his website:    www.parklandautosport.com

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:21:49 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »

Dr. I am honored by your kind words. I feel i have taken far more out of this well than I have put in.

LSR and land racing is a great bunch of people. For example, a few weeks before my first trip to the salt I did not have a push truck. A guy I never met other than this forum, built a push bumper and drove 12 hours to work with our crew. Didn't ask for anything and would barely let me buy him dinner. We are now good friends.

Work will keep me off the salt this year, but things should be less hectic next year. Like most everyone here, I think everyday about how I am going to get back to Speedweek.

BR

Just so everyone knows, Wheelrdealer is the man that sponsors the cash

donations and the presents for the ladies at Bonneville NW Reunion.

I was so impressed that a man from Florida felt for an event in the Pacific Northwest.

Whenever any of you can, please support him.

Bill is our kinda' fellow. He handles fire systems and fittings for hoses.

Check his website:    www.parklandautosport.com

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:18:58 PM by wheelrdealer »

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »
Guys,

Sorry for not posting a reply quicker. Been working lots at the real job and trying to get liner axle stuff done. The bottles came with the liner and were purchased new in 1998 they are Stroud bottles. They were mounted but no lines were ever run to them. I know I have a steel bottle that is a 10lb unit that is halon.....if what you guys are telling me and they are steel I really just have to have them weighed?  I believe the two that came with the liner are aluminum but will check tonight with a magnet. They might be steel. My fire guy told me they had to be emptied and pressure tested......He may not know. So I will find out and post tomorrow.
I appreciate the help!  :cheers:
Burton

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
Call Stroud

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
Might want to look for a more racer friendly fire guy... these bottles don't need to pass OSHA or any other official type testing.  My local fire guy weighs them and tags them as inspected. 
The vessel should only need to be pressure tested if it is empty before filling.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »
OK guys,

The Stroud bottles are Aluminum with a date on the bottle of 1998. The lines and cables were never hooked up.
I have the original reciepts for these from Dan Wiesman who was building the liner. I did try to call Stroud a couple times but no answer???

The third bottle is a steel bottle "Flame Out" It was a yellow bottle but my Dad painted it red.  I would trust any of them but let me know if they can possibly be used.

Burton

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Burton

The Stroud bottles look exactly like the current Firebottle product and are probably from the time when they were being private labeled for Stroud. Nothing outside on that one side indicates there is any issues. There is an o-ring in the top between the aluminum discharge valve and the bottle. You should check for dry rotted o-ring. I believe you can spin that valve off and you will see the membrane at the top of the bottle.  Halon does not have any corrosive interaction with aluminum that I know of. So if they both weigh around 13 pounds they should be full. Now here is the $675 question. The only way you will know for certain is when you need the bottles to discharge. Good if they do....bad f they do not. I tested my system once when I was taking it out... I thought I got the safety pin in correctly but as soon as I disconnected the pull cable wire the bottle discharged. A $300 lesson in the proper way to insert the safety pin!

The steel bottle I am not familiar with.

BR

OK guys,

The Stroud bottles are Aluminum with a date on the bottle of 1998. The lines and cables were never hooked up.
I have the original reciepts for these from Dan Wiesman who was building the liner. I did try to call Stroud a couple times but no answer???

The third bottle is a steel bottle "Flame Out" It was a yellow bottle but my Dad painted it red.  I would trust any of them but let me know if they can possibly be used.

Burton

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM