Author Topic: [Motorcycle] Radiator(s) location  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Frank06

[Motorcycle] Radiator(s) location
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
I'm building an electric bike which uses an oil-cooled motor and water-cooled controller (based on a first generation Hayabusa chassis.)  I need to mount two smallish radiators (think motorcycle oil cooler sized) somewhere.  From what I understand it can be advantageous from an aero perspective to completely close off the area behind the front wheel where the OEM radiator lives.  I'm wondering if I can mount my radiators so they end up flush with the fairing on the sides, about where the cutouts are that direct cooling air from the OEM radiator outside the engine compartment.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I'm thinking that air flowing by the fairing sides will create low pressure which would pull air through.  I could use the forced air inlets on the front of the bike to duct air to the inside of the radiators.

Thoughts, opinions, etc. much appreciated.  :)

thanks,
Frank
E-Racer

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: [Motorcycle] Radiator(s) location
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Frank,
Sounds like you are building a bike for one of the more "liberal" classes. Why don't you just use a small reservoir and circulate the coolant into and out of this reservoir and skip the coolers entirely. There is a lot of heat adsorption capabilities in a couple of gallons of cold water and you eliminate the aero drag of the small radiators.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maj

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »
I would agree , for the short run time you would not need much capacity
even a bigger oil and water storage tanks would have a lot of heat capacity , or if you use a heat exchanger system you could ice cool the oil and improve motor effiancy 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »
Yep, look at the Wild Weasel Tank thread, Sparky will tell you put both radiators in a tank filled with ice water.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Frank06

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:02:50 PM »
Yep, look at the Wild Weasel Tank thread, Sparky will tell you put both radiators in a tank filled with ice water.

Aha!  I remember reading that thread now.  Another good idea to pursue.

thank you!
E-Racer