Author Topic: Kick it off- Safety in general  (Read 12591 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Kick it off- Safety in general
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
I see folks wearing all kinds of PPE and not using any hearing protection. I keep gun muffs in the shop and use ear plugs at the Salt.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
My buddy Clive comes around to visit every so often. He used to build Sandmasters so should know his way around a workshop. He and other guys that come here always stand on the "wrong" side when using the angle grinder and I've been warning them for years. Clive was helping here the other day and using the Makita. He caught on fire. He was wearing a Polyester shirt and as usual the sparks were hitting him. I heard him scream and in his panicked state just dropped the machine while it was running. Result, one broken machine and cutting disc. He never got off lightly either. You wouldn't think a shirt could generate a fire that big. He was out of his shirt in a flash but it wasn't enough. He was red from the waist up but got it bad around the armpits. From the time he screamed to where I ran twenty feet to get the extinguisher it was over. We should never get complacent. Just my 2 cents.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:18 PM »
The vise can be bolted to a square chunk of wood.  That way, it is portable and it sits more securely on the floor or table.