Author Topic: Fundraising idea for Land Racing . Com  (Read 80974 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Fundraising idea for Land Racing . Com
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »
I had fun reading the Milwaukee Midget posts and donating based on Chris's dyno pulls. Jon I owe you for the bump, Chris pulled out a few more ponies after my donation. It was a great idea but considering most of you run "monster  big HP motors" a duplication Chris's idea could be outside my pay grade. At least at $1 per HP.

With that in mind, I thought about a contest where we keep the donations in small dollars and work on a volume of people making the smaller contributions. This apporach accomplishes a few goals, a) helps to keep this site up, b) if the contribution is a few bucks, seems more people can support the site without impacting their racing budgets c) My sons and I want you guys to know we support landracing.com. d) maybe you guys will keep us in mind if you need a fire sysyem or AN fittings.

Here is the big idea, Parkland Autosport will donate a product that has some universal appeal to both cars and bikes. We will run a contest for a specific amount of time. During that time, for a small landracing.com contribution, say $5.00 you get an entry. Jon will keep a numbered list with the contributor's name. At the end of the contest time. Parkland Autopsort will run a random number generator for the range of the contributor total and send it to Jon, the person's name that appears next to the number is the winner of the product. Parkland Autosport will ship the product at no expense to the winner.

We think this will work if a good number of members participate.

Please comment or PM if you think this will work. Jon's in the loop on this so feel free to let him know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bill

Parkland Autosport
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Fundraising idea for Land Racing . Com
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:16:40 AM »
That's not a bad idea at all.  :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
Thanks, Bill.  I'll be honest -- Bill offered this suggestion to me a few days (weeks?) ago -- and I've been busier than a one-armed paperhanger in a rocking chair factory (or something) and haven't acted on it.  So - thanks for getting things off dead center and getting the idea out here for all to see.  I think it's a fine idea - 'specially since it doesn't require much in the way of big bucks from anyone.  That'll make it easier for things to be successful.  And maybe - just maybe -- others that are in a position to offer similar enticements will choose to offer similar goods or services so there will be that much more incentive to join the fun.

Thanks for your support, Bill.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
Here is our idea for the first product. Most car and bikes have some or a lot of AN fittings. Our AN wrench sets are CNC'd T-6 6061, -03 to -20. In addition, -04 to -16 have both nut and socket combinations. This helps with hose assembly becuase the we typically use a cresent wrench on the socket becuase it is slighly larger than the nut.

Let's help prove this concept and give Jon and Nancy another tool to keep LR.COM alive and well.

Our goal is to keep the donation dollar increments low, I'll let Jon determine the $ number and the contest length, but get a lot of people to participate.

Thanks

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
Hey -- I guess I'd best put aside the gardening and lawn mowing and get this contest thingie started.  We'll use Bill's (Wheelrdealer) idea -- $5 gets you an entry.  Use Paypal if you can, and mark it a "gift" so they don't take out their pound of flesh - please.

When you make your entry you'll get assigned a number -- nothing fancy, just 1 or 3 or 17 - that is, I'll number the entries using numbers starting from 1.  Let's try it for two weeks so I don't get worn fingers from trying over and over to remind you that there's a contest running.  Once we end the contest Bill gets to generate the "winning" number, and said number gets the AN wrench set. 

I don't want to limit the entries to Paypal users, but that'll be a really easy way to keep track of what's what.  You're welcome to PM me your entry, or just fill out the comments form in the PP form with your name and a note that you're entering the contest.  Eventually I'll need an address for Bill to ship the stuff to you.

$5 -- five bucks -- that's what it'll cost you to get a chance to win a nice set of tools that'll make you the envy of the rest of the guys on your block at home - or next to your pit at the races.  It'll be cool if we can have at least 20 entries -- it'd make a hundred (or so) bucks for the site and take only five from you.  And best of all it'll give Bill's products some extra visibility.

One last note:  If you make or sell something that you'd like to generate additional publicity for -- get in touch with me and we'll try to use your stuff for a coming contest.  Let's see if we can make this work as a long-term source of "crowd funding", hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
I just PayPaled for two entries on the wrenches.
the PayPal page seems different. I'm pretty sure it went through as a donation.

boy, is the homepage different also. hope the history book stays up there for a while.
first I knew of it.
getting ready for Wilmington and not having time to read it.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »
Got mine in as well...oops gotta do one for Amy :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
So Cpt. Thund. is #1, Franey is #2 and #3.  That'll be how it goes -- simple numbers stuff.  No complex formulas, and I - and everyone that visits www.landracing.com - - thank you very much.  The "contest" will be closed at the end of the day on Friday, the 14th of June.  That's our wedding anniversary - so easy to remember.  Yes, I might be preoccupied that evening, but the winning number will be selected Saturday morning as soon as Bill gets to it.

Thanks to all.  G'night -- bedtime in Skandia, Michigan.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
That is too easy cant we make it a lot more complicated so no one really knows what is going on?? :-D :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:13:52 AM »
Jon, I will send you the random number on the 15th am. Save a little energy to announce the contest winner!

BR

So Cpt. Thund. is #1, Franey is #2 and #3.  That'll be how it goes -- simple numbers stuff.  No complex formulas, and I - and everyone that visits www.landracing.com - - thank you very much.  The "contest" will be closed at the end of the day on Friday, the 14th of June.  That's our wedding anniversary - so easy to remember.  Yes, I might be preoccupied that evening, but the winning number will be selected Saturday morning as soon as Bill gets to it.

Thanks to all.  G'night -- bedtime in Skandia, Michigan.

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:16:44 AM »
Fredvance:

You are correct, Jon let's hire some lawyers and CPA's to ruin, I mean get our contest into compliance.

BR

That is too easy cant we make it a lot more complicated so no one really knows what is going on?? :-D :cheers:

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »
Well, we're up to five entries so far.  Thanks -- it looks like it'll be a bit of a contest.  Let's see -- how can I make it easier for those of you that are way the heck away from easy (read: cheap) shipping?  Howsabout if you're interested in the wrench set and are figuring that the cost of shipping would be excessive - we'll deliver the wrench set, assuming you're the winner, at SpeedWeek or any of the other events at which someone from your neck of the planet is in attendance -- and have said traveler take the set back to his/your home nation where shipping it to you won't be all that much extra.  The site will pay for the "local" shipping, you'll get the set, and we'll have offered more opportunities for you to help the site and win some swag.  Okey-dokey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
No worries Jon. We will ship it to the winner at no cost. I know if our friends down under win the shipping will be more than the wrench set but let's keep it simple and fun. Besides, some winner will need these wrenches before Speedweek. 

BR

Well, we're up to five entries so far.  Thanks -- it looks like it'll be a bit of a contest.  Let's see -- how can I make it easier for those of you that are way the heck away from easy (read: cheap) shipping?  Howsabout if you're interested in the wrench set and are figuring that the cost of shipping would be excessive - we'll deliver the wrench set, assuming you're the winner, at SpeedWeek or any of the other events at which someone from your neck of the planet is in attendance -- and have said traveler take the set back to his/your home nation where shipping it to you won't be all that much extra.  The site will pay for the "local" shipping, you'll get the set, and we'll have offered more opportunities for you to help the site and win some swag.  Okey-dokey?

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
I've counted seven entries so far -- including at least one fellow that doubled his chances by donating $10 'stead of 5.  That's allowed, I guess, since it is now a done thing.

Thanks to those of you that have sent in your $$.  If you don't Paypal you're welcome to PM me with your purchase and then we'll figure out how you can get the money to landracing.com HQ.  But do that in a PM or an email, please, so I don't have to go through the hullaballew out in the public arena (a/k/a the Forum).

Keep 'em coming, boys and girls.  We've still got 13 or so days for additional entries.  And Bill wants those wrenches to go to a good home.  Heck, he stepped forward and offered them to help not only this site -- but also to help your toolbox.  Whatta guy, hey? :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
Moving along now - it being Monday after supper and we've got ten entries.  Bill's out of town/computer reach for a couple of days - and he's worried that the current "contest" isn't doing as well as it should (in his opinion).  He's the one that thought up the idea of a small size donation to the site to get a chance to win the wrench set, hoping that the relatively small entry price would allow more folks to buy in and give a little bit to the site.

If you'd care to prove to him that his idea is/was sound -- go ahead and send the Paypal account a fiver.  Remember too that he said he'll pay the shipping no matter where -- even if the winner is in a distant land such as Nebraska or New  Zealand or - well, wherever.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com