Author Topic: Any classic ribbed 19" front motorcycle tires rated to 150 mph?  (Read 12598 times)

Offline gschuld

So I have an early 70s vintage bike and I try to keep the look as vintage correct as possible.  Does anyone know of any manufacturers producing front tires in 19" in a ribbed pattern that have a V or Z rating?  I'm looking for a factory rated 150mph capability.

Plenty of "modern" tread tires to choose from, but I'd prefer to have a vintage style tire if possible.

Thanks in advance.

George

Offline Cereal KLR

Re: Any classic ribbed 19" front motorcycle tires rated to 150 mph?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »
The Avon Speedmaster is S rated (112mph) but they make a non dot race tire too. I could not find a speed rating but it might be worth a call to Avon rep.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/avon-speedmaster-front-race-tires
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Jessechop

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »
The race version is H rated to 130

Offline gschuld

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »

Item Description

Yes, thank you.  I did notice the Avon Speedmaster race fronts.  It's a bummer that they are only rated to 130mph.  And at that they are not street legal.   I would really prefer a street legal tire, otherwise I would just get a front drag slick mounted to another wheel.  I have a Metzeler me880 Z rated rear tire and that tire fills my modern tread quota.  Even if I match it with a me880 z rated front, they only have 120/70zr/18 and 19 available, the rest being low speed rating tires.  My current fork spacing isn't wide enough to handle anything wider than a 110, and that's pushing it.  I could go with something like the Avon Roadrider with the modern tread look,  But is mismatches the Metzeler tread style badly.  Sizes are fine though...  And Roadriders aren't available in the rear size that I want.  Go figure...  If the Speedmaster race fronts were V or Z rated, I'd be all over them.   

Avon AM6 Speedmaster MKII Race Front Tire

Available in Sizes:

2.75/3.00-19
3.25-19
3.00-21

Item Details

H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph
Intended for race use only
Not D.O.T. approved
Tube Type Tire

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
Per LTA rules;
"131 to 150 Production tires with a speed rating of V or higher"

Holding a bike wide open for acceleration, sustained high speed and then braking puts a high load on tires. 
Manufacturers rating indicates safe operational speed.  Not sure why you are concerned about tire aesthetics
when your safety is the real concern. 

Joe

Offline gschuld

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
Joe,

Safety is Number 1.   No doubt about it.  The reason why I ask is because this bike is also intended to be a street legal bike.  A fast, rough riding, rigid, short ride/test and tune kind of street legal bike with removable turn signals/headlight/plate.  Overall a HiPo ported 1000cc motor and 350lbs total dry weight.  Hell the factory 1969 K0 did 125mph right off the assembly line at a bone stock 750cc and 500lbs.  Even though I have no intention on riding down the highways consistently at 130+, I feel it's reasonable to have tires under me up to the capabilities of the bike.  Plus, I'm all for a little overkill in regards to good tires.

Bottom line, if there are no viable street legal front tire options out there in a more vintage look, a modern tread will be up there rather than speed rating for looks.  And I have no problem running a full drag front slick on a separate wheel if need be.

I'm just checking to see if I'm lucky enough to have my cake and eat it too!  I'm a big guy and I'm hungry! :-D

George

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
ahhh - I get it ... that said, Avon was your best shot.  They even make a Z rate 500/16 for old time Harley's ...

Joe

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
Aren't all Harleys sorta old-time?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »
My bike has a 19-inch front wheel and a 110 width is the most that will fit.  Tire choice is extremely limited.  A Bridgestone Battleax BT-023's was put on the front a few weeks ago.  It is a 110/70 ZR 19 M/C (59W).  This tire will be OK up to 150 mph and beyond, no problem.  It is good to run a similar rear tire, so I put a BT-023 on the back end, too.

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:42 AM »
 If you have spoke wheels the tires have tubes.Does a inner tube change the speed rating,as in lower?
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Jessechop

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »
If you have spoke wheels the tires have tubes.Does a inner tube change the speed rating,as in lower?

No, and tubeless can run with tubes. However there is a requirement if they are rubber stemed
Copied from the rule book:

7.B.8 Valve Stems and Caps:
All tire valve stems must be fitted with metal valve caps. Over 175 MPH, tubeless tires must use metal valve stems. Tube type tires with rubber valve stems that are angled relative to the rotational plane of the wheel must have those valve stems secured to resist centrifugal force deflection. Safety wire or other approved restraining device is required.

A: All motorcycle entries, must use tires with an appropriate speed rating.
B: The required speed rating is governed by the record speed in the class.
C: All competitors going over 187 MPH must sign the tire waiver form.
D: IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ENTRANT TO CHECK INFLATION PRESSURES AND TIRE AND WHEEL FOR DETERIORATION OR DAMAGE IMMEDIATELY BEFORE AND AFTER EVERY RUN.
E: Tires rated H CANNOT be used beyond the speed rating.
F: All production tires rated H, V, Z or ZR must have been produced within the last ten years as of the date of the current event.
G: Sidewall date coding will be checked.
H: Tubeless, bias ply type tires may be run with tubes.
I: Tires designed for use on the drive wheel in drag bikes are not be allowed.