Author Topic: Help needed on what class to enter  (Read 9588 times)

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
Re: Help needed on what class to enter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »
I think your starting to get the order of things.......100% showroom stock = Production.......Any mods of any kind = Modified. If the stock bike has no streamlining.......OK.......but add a windshield and your in PS...Partial Streamlined.  If your going to actually enter a class, you should study what is allowed to be removed or altered.......ie, signals, lights, handlbars etc.  Also be aware that you have to have the correct or better 'speed-rated' tires for the existing class record.

Have some fun at 175 (maybe) on the Mountain Course..........then you can move to the 'Big-Boys' course.
Thanks,

Most of the rules are easy to understand. I want to enter a class being sure my interpretation is correct if I add a particular modification.

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »
Birdman, it would be very interesting to see one of those BMW's run with some genuine streamlining.  No one is doing that now.
Boy... talk about planting the seed! Sounds like a good challenge. Wish I had the time and resources to make that happen prior to BUB.

Yes, aerodynamic streamlining has everything to do with efficiency. Been jumping steady since 1974. Used to speed dive back in the 1990's. Best head down vertical no lift dive was 268 mph terminal velocity compared to my flat stable body position terminal velocity average at 118 mph.  Some people still believe a pound of gold falls at the same rate as a pound of feathers!

Offline maj

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:49 AM »
So the next challenge is to match your best vertical speed with a horizontal speed  :-D

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »
So the next challenge is to match your best vertical speed with a horizontal speed  :-D
Yes! :cheers:

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
With little other info on the bike - I would agree with Stainless -  MPS  Modified Partial Streamline, as a result of the windshield. Do you really need a windshield ?
maybe scrap the windshield and run  M -  Modified
1000cc what ?   Overhead cams ?  - pushrods with cams below cylinder deck ?  Need more info to finish classify.
Another maybe meaningful suggestion would be contact AMA and get a rule book, or simply down load the latest version from the BUB racing web site.
Treat it like your LSR bible. .  .  Read it a couple times a month during preparations.   Just a thought.    :cheers:
Keep it fun -   :-D
Jimbo
Jimbo,

Getting ready to register for BUB. I decided to run with the stock windshield but would like to play with a couple of front/rear sprocket combinations. This puts me in the modified class? Right? This will be the only change from store bought stock configuration.
I didn't see the word sprocket in the rules, and it states the you can't run a P engine in M class.

Cornfused!

Thanks

Offline AHG

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
Final drive sprocket changes are allowed in ALL classes.
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
Final drive sprocket changes are allowed in ALL classes.
Perfect!

Thank you

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »
Okay, I'm now cornfuzed on what is legal to remove for to P-P class.
Chapter 4 stating " The following modifications will be acceptable"
4.A is easy to follow
4.B not sure if this belongs due to type of formatting (this is not a modification)
4.C & 4D easy to follow
4.E "if desired" statement should be included with 4.A or 4.A contradicts 4.E

I have a license plate bracket with integrated rear blinkers - can I remove the rear blinker lights?

I have front blinkers bolted to the sides of the side fairings - can I remove them?

Thanks

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
4. A. ACCEPTABLE REMOVALS
Acceptable removals are the license plate frame and bracket, air
cleaner element, and toolbox.
4. B. CHAIN GUARD
A chain guard is mandatory on all exposed chains.
You must have a chain guard that covers the exposed chain, this would include the chain all the way back to the back of the sprocket
4. C. FOOT PEGS
Foot pegs must be original equipment. Remove rear foot pegs.
4. D. HANDLEBARS
Handlebars are restricted to 15-inches above, 4-inches in front of
original mount or 4-inches lower. All handlebars that mount to the
original mount and meet the criteria in this section are acceptable.
You can use other than stock bars in production class
4. E. LIGHTING AND INSTRUMENTS
Headlamps, turn signal lenses, and tail lamp lenses shall be
completely taped. If desired, remove non-integrated lamps and
signals. See Chapter 2, paragraph 2.H.
You will be allowed to remove bolt on signals
4. F. WHEEL AND TIRE
If necessary to meet tire speed recommendations, use optional
wheels. See Chapter 2, paragraphs 2.Q and 2.S.
4. G. SIDE AND CENTER STANDS
Prior to making run, secure side and center stands in the UP
position with “Zip Ties” or Safety wire.
4. H. WINDSHIELD, FAIRINGS, SIDE COVERS, AND
SEATS
Motorcycles originally factory equipped with a fairing and
windshield, seat and side covers shall participate with original
equipment. The fairings and windshield shall remain in original
appearance (height, width and contour).
Non-integral turn signals may be removed

Now the disclaimer... you are running the Bub, so your best bet is to PM or Email Drew for clarification of rules.  The SCTA would require turn signal removal and a metal chain guard...
So read all the previous requirements for racing in section 2.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Chris V

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
Drew stated "Final drive sprocket changes Ok."  I don't know how to cut and paste. So does that include chain size from 525 to 520 I'm running Production frame and would like the lighter weight.  Chris
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline Russianbirdman

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:01:33 PM »
Chris,

It's obvious that I too question the written rules for the production class.
As the Director of Completion for the World Wingsuit Skydiving Championships held in Stupino Russia 2005 and 2007, I wrote the rules and regs for both events.
I have also written 5 published military operations and maintenance manuals for special forces parachute system companies.
With this technical writing experience I cannot say I understand the production class rules 100%.
There is a cross reference of Chapter 2, paragraph 2.H included in Chapter 4, 4.E. (Not certain it belongs there.)  Also "acceptable removals" listed in Chapter 4, 4.A and "desired" removals in 4.E that would be best included in Chapter 4, 4.A.
I bought a 520 chain and sprockets to run on my bike but after a little research on "opinions" in this forum, I elected to buy a 525 chain and sprockets to run just to keep it real.
I am bringing all stock parts that are considered "acceptable removals" and "desired" removals just in case any of my interpretations are wrong.
Good luck, go fast!