Author Topic: Parachute tubes.  (Read 10490 times)

Offline tauruck

Parachute tubes.
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
I haven't done a search in the build diaries but I'm looking for info on building chute tubes with all the fancy internals like the ones on the liners. Thanks guys.

Offline Tman

Re: Parachute tubes.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
A search is well worth it, there are quite a few threads with pertinant info.  :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
Re: Chute Tubes - - -

We're nowhere as sophisticated as you guys, but learned a few things along the way.

First year we found we had to install a longer lead from the chute to the pilot to get it out of the dirty air behind the car.  And needed a much bigger pilot to pull it all out. (First time the pilot rested on the bumper, second time it alone came out and trailed behind the car.)  Bob Stroud happily upgraded it for us.  There was no drama, as stopping a Street Roadster (the old, non-slick kind) is not a problem on the long course at SW.

But the added hardware made packing it a real chore.  We later added 3" to the tube and it helped.  Shoulda added 2" more.

The point being that it's best to make it too long and allow for spacers in the back that might allow you to add to the package or just adjust 'cause you're putting it in dirty, if you know what I mean.

Stan  
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »
Thanks Stan.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
I need more help on the chute issue. I want to use compressed air as propulsion. I have a crude idea on how I think it should be done but I don't have time to waste on figuring the whole system. Before you know it it's August 2014 and I'n still sitting here.. yada yada!!. Can someone please tell me how to build the system?. I'll be eternally grateful guys. I really appreciate all the advice and heed the warnings. I have no experience on these long cars. Thanks.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
More and more are going to two tubes--one for the chute which just stores the chute and a launching tube for the pilot chute, who's job is to make it into CLEAN air an pull the main out  this way it is easier to get something into clean air.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
Thanks Sparky. Do I run a hose from the compressed air tank with an actuator in the cockpit to the pilot chute tube. I was thinking of a piston type deal to eject the pilot.

Offline Jon

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Nice Build, good to see you back
+1 on what Sparky said, I'm building mine with 2 tubes per chute.
I did look at a making the small chute tube about 2" and blowing the pilot chute out with compressed air.
Ended up using a spring with a cable release, less to go wrong.
Being a streamliner bike the rules say I need to (and I want to) have auto chute deployment if the bike tilts too much so will have a solenoid pull on the cables as well as manual.
The springs I have will launch the pilot with its tether line about 8m if it's not tied to anything, pilot to main chute bag tether line is about 4m (13') long.
Main chute tether line and bridle has the canopy about 12m (40') behind the anchor point.

Edit : you posted while I was typing
A lot of drag guys use a long/small diameter air ram with a push plate to throw out the main chute.
My main chutes (& everyone running pilot chutes I think) are in a deployment bag so the canopy doesn't start to open until the main tether is at full stretch.

Cheers
jon
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:57:11 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
On the Vesco streamliners we use a air ejection pilot system on the 444 car with a long teather to pull the main canopys. The Turbinatio uses a spring / piston ejector for the pilot chutes. both work very well. They also have mechanical releases for over ride required by SCTA rules.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
Thanks Jon and Glen. There are no rules here on chute systems. In fact there is no sanctioned salt racing. I'm hoping my liner will get the ball rolling. The place where I'll be running is so long you could coast to a stop way before you hit anything but we don't want to take that chance. The info you've given will help big time. I really appreciate it.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
Mike, stopping in a hurry is desirable when you are on fire or have other emergencies.
You would be wise to build in line with SCTA rules as DLRA has, not only will it allow you guys to run Bville or Gairdner but it has taken years of experience to get the rules to the point thay are now.
A manual back up on chutes could save your life.
A lot of the failed tube chute issues can be related to not packing it tight enough when there is an integral spring loaded pilot. During a run the pack resets itself in the tube & when you deploy at the end there is not enough pilot spring pressure left to get it into clear air.
6ft is a good length for a bridal line.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
Point taken Sid. Thanks. Check your email. :-D

Offline maj

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Worth contacting your supplier
5 min conversation with Stroud  had me convinced to run a pilot chute in a separate tube to the main
things like the spring staying in the pilot tube and not banging around on the cable , and also not compacting the main chute with the spring seemed like common sense

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 01:47:05 AM »
I hear you Maj. Thanks.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 05:32:56 AM »
If you have room the main "tube" does not have to be round, it can be larger on the inside and round where it exits the car. We use a spring pilot and one tube on the lakester and the 2 tube setup with a 12 inch stroke air cylinder to push the pilot on the liner. Both work well but the liner is easy to pack.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20