Author Topic: Is there a chance to have an engine inspected / sealed in the St Louis area?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline SteveM

I've read about a few instances where a competition engine has been inspected for bore x stroke and sealed prior to running at an SCTA event.

I'm just starting the assembly of my 1.5L diesel engine.  If there is any opportunity to get this thing inspected and sealed before going to Bonneville, that would be fantastic.

I don't want to seem presumptuous, but if there's a chance of setting a record, I'd rather not have to tear the engine down on the salt.  The displacement will be right at 3% under the class maximum, but it will not be easy to measure by indirect means.

Is there a list of approved inspectors who might be able to help with my situation?  I'm located just south of St Louis, MO, but would be willing to travel as needed to get this engine checked and sealed.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Stan Back

PM sent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Steve, it's been talked about a zillion times -- but I don't know if there's a system to do it - yet.  Last year the bike inspectors and head folks talked seriously about finding folks to do measuring and sealing, but finding qualified people with absolutely NO reason to play favorites (for instance, someone that's not a bike racer nor related to or interested in in any way, shape, or form to a bike racer or team) isn't all that easy.  But at least the discussion has been begun - for bikes.  As for cars/trucks?  I don't know.  Maybe it's time for you and others to attempt to join the conversation with SCTA officials to attempt to get something going.

I know the inspectors would be happy if they didn't have to measure so many engines at the salt, so the idea shouldn't be thought of as absurd.  Ask and someday maybe you'll be rewarded.  But as for right now -- I don't know and I'm afraid that's because there is not a system in place.  Perhaps others know more than I've stated.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

Good information has flowed in via PM's.   :-D

On a related side note, what is the typical "Provision to attach a wire seal to the engine" per rule 1H?   What is the usual method to provide such a provision?

Steve.

Offline RichFox

I leave out a pan bolt and they put the seal through the hole. You may have to drill an intersecting hole for the wire to go though. Or you could have two adjacent pan bolts drilled like for safety wire and run the wire through them.

Offline SteveM

Sounds like a good idea.  For some reason, I was thinking more along the lines of valve cover bolts, but the pan bolts make a lot more sense.

Steve.

Offline Stan Back

. . . or two adjacent front cover bolts if they enclose the crank end.  Wire seals usually have a lead insert where an inspector stamps an identifying mark and dates and describes it on the accompanying paperwork.

(Anyone please chime in to better describe the process.)

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
PM sent.

Stan, could you send me the same PM. If it has to do with pre-race sealing of an engine.

Additionally, I would be willing to measure B&S and seal race engines for folks if there is a need, and it would help.

I'm not that far from the Houston area, I don't build engines for anyone else, and I know how to measure.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.