Author Topic: Custom wheels, any suggestions?  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Custom wheels, any suggestions?
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »
I have not been happy with the company that has been making my wheels (they say they will be done by 'X' and they are really done by 'Z'). I wont name them but it rhymes with Diamond Racing Wheels.

I need a steel 15"X4 with 100% possible max backset.

Anyone have any suggestions for someone that can make these wheels reasonably and will get them sent when they say?

The other guys kept telling me they would send them in a week.....for about 5 MONTHS!!!!

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RichFox

Re: Custom wheels, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »
I was happy with Rally America. But i did have to get the wheels welded when I got them. Told them about full welding and they said they understood. But other than that I like the wheels

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
Call my dad he makes a steel 15x4 wheel
Mike cook jr

Offline wjesel

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
If Cook doesn't have what you need I think I have a couple of Taylor 15x4 with A LOT of offset due to a convex center. I'd have to check exactly how much and which 2 bolt patterns they have. They were pricey though.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »
WheelSmith made a set for our camaro. As soon as I said "need them fully welded" they knew what I was using them for. priced right and got them in about 2 weeks. They can make 'bout any offset.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
Jonny, I feel your pain. 

Even with the advantage of being able to stop down over my lunch hour and bullyrag them - they're just down the road from where I work - and despite having literally hundreds of rims in stock waiting for centers, I was told 1 month at the beginning of March and they weren't finished until late July.

His priority is roundy-pounder wheels, and once stock car season starts, everything else seems to go on the back burner.

I eventually got mine - well built, balanced up okay - but the frustration of the empty promise regarding delivery has convinced me that if I ever need another set of wheels, I'll explore other options.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »
Marlo had his wheels done by Taylor. Then he also got the second set for the asphalt tires done by them.

Something must have worked out OK or he wouldn't have gone back.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:49:55 AM »
Try buying a 16 X 5 for a motorcycle to fit a M/T 16" car tire. That's a lot of fun too.
Fact is LSR wheels and tires are specials and there's not a lot of demand for the sizes we need. That means hard to find and usually lots of $.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
I agree with "captthundarr" about WheelSmith! I have had really good experiences with them on product, service (delivery) and pricing.

Tom

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »
JH;

Bassett made my wheels; Speedway Motors carries a few sizes as well. The disadvantage of having a non-Chevy or Ford bolt pattern is that wheels are harder to find and more expensive. The standard stock car wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 5 so it is advantageous to convert your hubs to this bolt pattern if possible. Ford & Chevy bolt pattern wheels are also commonly available but not as numerous as 5 on 5.

I finally threw in the towel and had my rear Porsche hubs converted from a 5-bolt 130mm bolt pattern to 5 on 5. Now I have real racing wheels. Cheap, too!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Hooley

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »
JH,
      We have used off road wheels from Marsh Racing wheels. They are tough and are made the way you want them and delevered on time. If you call them tell them I sent you.   http://mrw-wheels.com/
They are located in NW Arkansas. For me I just go down there and pick them up. I had a pair of 9.5 wide wheels made for running the Ohio Mile last year.  They even put the duze fasteners on.  I am an unpaid spokesman hehe.

Lots of good wheel people out there.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline GH

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
I used the Camaro space saver rims, 15" x 4", welded up the center to the rim. Went 248 with them.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
JH,
      We have used off road wheels from Marsh Racing wheels. They are tough and are made the way you want them and delevered on time. If you call them tell them I sent you.   http://mrw-wheels.com/
They are located in NW Arkansas. For me I just go down there and pick them up. I had a pair of 9.5 wide wheels made for running the Ohio Mile last year.  They even put the duze fasteners on.  I am an unpaid spokesman hehe.

Lots of good wheel people out there.

Hooley
Jeez Hooley! Looks like the Stude is gettin kinda long! :-o
  Sid.

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
FYI, I also used Ralleye America but found out since losing the shop to a brushfire they are now only doing hot rod wire wheels.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
I'm with GH........I even bet we could go 300 on some of the space saver tires shaved. The Miller Tire Co. sell o lot of different outer also....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro