Author Topic: H.A.N.S. device, made by DJ Safety  (Read 17916 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: H.A.N.S. device, made by DJ Safety
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
  Nathan, because of the prescidence (spl) this apparently sets as for safety products mandated by our Rule Book.
  Although the wording in the rulebook does say "testing" and not "Certified", It appears that at no time was the DJ device "certified" and I fail to see how a product that had FAILED certification should have been acceptable.
  I am not debating the point that it may or may not be a good product or whether it is better than nothing, but if it in fact was the only product available for use, I feel the Rules Committee should have followed their own rules and allowed a waiver or variation for the Lakester and Streamliner owners, not looking the other way or in escense putting the laydown racers in a position to need to buy a non certified product to be legal.     
  Are you telling me that these devices are now legal while other non certified products (such as Aria helmets) are not?
  Then why should or did many entrants buy $1,000 buck Hans or Safety Solutions (both now Simpson) if we could have bought a $500 buck non certified brand.
  I don't want any new Rule changes, I want you guy's to follow the Rules that are already in place.             Bob

p.s. The Rule Book says SFI 38.1 Head and Neck Restraint System
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:46:13 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
What makes the Neckgen different than a Hans? They sure look alike.

I bought my son an adjustable Hans for his dirt car and he says when the racing starts he doesn't know he has it on and we are going to change to the 2" shoulder safety belts on the next change. I wish the adjustable was availavle when I bought my 30 degree we would only have one instead of 2....

Bob's right I have a nice mint G-Force attachment for my helmet...........

It is not rigid and has some flexibility that make fit and movement better.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »
Bob, not to disagree with your point, because I don't, however.....

SCTA Rule Book page 26, 3.A.3 second paragraph.
Forward movement: "All cars and motorcycle streamliners shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type (Bold face by me) head and neck restraint system.

Nathan, because of the prescidence (spl) this apparently sets as for safety products mandated by our Rule Book.
  Although the wording in the rulebook does say "testing" and not "Certified", It appears that at no time was the DJ device "certified" and I fail to see how a product that had FAILED certification should have been acceptable.
  I am not debating the point that it may or may not be a good product or whether it is better than nothing, but if it in fact was the only product available for use, I feel the Rules Committee should have followed their own rules and allowed a waiver or variation for the Lakester and Streamliner owners, not looking the other way or in escense putting the laydown racers in a position to need to buy a non certified product to be legal.     
  Are you telling me that these devices are now legal while other non certified products (such as Aria helmets) are not?
  Then why should or did many entrants buy $1,000 buck Hans or Safety Solutions (both now Simpson) if we could have bought a $500 buck non certified brand.
  I don't want any new Rule changes, I want you guy's to follow the Rules that are already in place.             Bob

p.s. The Rule Book says SFI 38.1 Head and Neck Restraint System
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
  Okay Dyno, I am not a lawyer so I'll try not to be the Devil's Advocate on this one.
  I think that most participants can see my point: let's just be consistant or at least Print A Disclaimer if no Certified product is available to follow any Rule rather than put the onus on the competitor to guess at a solution.
  I also think we have a great rulebook, it's just some of the definitions are up to the discretion of the Inspector's and yes, I realize that Page one of our Rule Book states that.
                                                                                               Thanx, Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
Hey Bob, take your meds and stop trying to get the only device that works in small laydown cars declared illegal. 
Start working your car, Speedweek is getting closer
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »
Hey Bob, take your meds and stop trying to get the only device that works in small laydown cars declared illegal. 
Start working your car, Speedweek is getting closer

Lay off him a bit Ss, he only has to get prepared for one run! Although the planning for backwards can be unpredictable!