Author Topic: QC axle tubes loose in the bells?  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Tman

QC axle tubes loose in the bells?
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »
Got me QC apart and find that my brand new machined axle tubes are a tad loose in my bells. This rearend had some redneck engineering done to it so I am not surprised. The tubes slide into place with little to no interference. Do ya'all think I need new bells?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: QC axle tubes loose in the bells?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »
Trent, I forgot which model QC you have?

I have the 301 (Champ), and it has bolts that hold the tube to the bell.

Maybe weld  a thin 'spacer' around the tube, if the tube is really too small, cold fuse it and add bolts for peace of mind?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
It is Champ and was a press fit but does have bolt holes.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »
Well, if the bells are not 'wallowed' out, you could do as I suggested, and make the tubes fit.

It would be more work, but less $$$$!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
Have the tubes knurled where they slip into the QC.This will enlarge the OD a small amount, any good machine shop should be able to do it, take the housing along so they can check the ID of where the tubes press in as one side might be a little different in size.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
Have the tubes knurled where they slip into the QC.This will enlarge the OD a small amount, any good machine shop should be able to do it, take the housing along so they can check the ID of where the tubes press in as one side might be a little different in size.

You are the second person that said this Glen, Marty Strode mentioned it on another board as well. I may have to go this route!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
Trent, PM sent.

Pete

Offline John Burk

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
Trent how about filling the gap between the tube and bore with JB Weld . That would keep the oil from leaking and softens at a fairly low temp so they could be warmed with a torch to remove the tubes .
John

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
Than, have you checked the bore dia. On each bell? Being this is out of a oval track car is has probably taken a pretty hard pounding, the up and down and fore and aft deflection could have caused some deformity.Jut a thought.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
Than, have you checked the bore dia. On each bell? Being this is out of a oval track car is has probably taken a pretty hard pounding, the up and down and fore and aft deflection could have caused some deformity.Jut a thought.

The bells are pretty uniform diameter. Loose, but oh so close to being right. They do not look wallowed out and there is no evidence of them having the ID machined. Going out with a caliper to measure right now.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
A good knurl on the tubes should do the trick if they are a few thou.loose.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »
Technical measuring last night. Got an idea and ran a layer of masking tape around the tube (no snap gauges to measure housing bore). Dropped the tube down and the fit is snuggish/just right. That's how close these are so I am not so worried now. I will lick this.  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »
OLD time blacksmiths would put brass on the tube ends and turn to fit--

On another project --we cut the ends off the housing end--  replaced with next size tubing turned down to what we needed for the fit we wanted
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!