Author Topic: Mod to remove torque converter on Ford C4 box.  (Read 15528 times)

Offline tauruck

Mod to remove torque converter on Ford C4 box.
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
I'm looking for info on how to modify a C4 box to run without the converter. It's LSR related and I don't have a clue on what steps to take. :oops: Thanks.

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Mod to remove torque converter on Ford C4 box.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
Tauruck, I am running such a setup in my Tank. I just bought a welded converter. It holds no fluid, that part is sealed off. I would imagine that if you talk to a manufacturer they could fix you up. Wayno

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
Mike I  found a bunch of "dummy" converters for chevy products. I'm sure there has to be something for the C4. I'll be looking for ya.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
Mike, The factory Ford funny cars of the 60's ran without the converter and just used a sprag to turn the pump on the C6 and I dont see why you couldn't do the same on a C4.  Look up member Mean Jean on here as he has one of these transmissions.  I may have some pictures of his trans, but I am in Singapore for another week and wont be able to look for them till I get back.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »
Did anybody ever make a "clutch-C4" like the Clutchflite and ClutchTurbo mods where converter replaced with clutch and some gizmo to drive the pump?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
I ran a convertor eliminator on my old Roadster. It worked well. I would push the roadster up to about 20 mph then the driver would put the trans in 1st gear and pull away from the truck. I don't know of one that uses a clutch, but here is a link to a company that makes one like I used for your application.

Tom G.

http://www.hughesperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=34
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »
Tom, that's pretty much what I'm using. I got mine from Flat-o-matic and it was made by Oregon Converter. Wayno

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
Any good converter rebuilder down there should be able to do it for you Mike.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
Do a search on speedboat forums or sites.
It's pretty common in those circles, I used to run a small block chev with a turbo 700 in a ski boat.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:26 PM »
Hey Tony, no gum chewing or spitting on the sidewalk....
Nice, neat clean place they have there... try not to get caned...
Spent a day there waiting for my ride to a tropical vacation spot (the Footprint of Freedom) a thousand miles from anywhere in the British Indian Ocean Territories.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
Thanks for all the good advice and as always it's appreciated. I'm on my own here so I'll have to figure this thing myself. This country is not known for innovators by and large and if the application isn't OEM then you have a problem. I'm the only one I know of involved in LSR and the general population thinks I'm insane already. I know from past experience that removing the converter allows ths the ATF to escape the housing (I think) so I'm thinking of some kind of shaft based on the original in the converter with a flange to bolt to the flex plate as a starting point.

Offline Jon

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 03:12:17 AM »
The ones I've used are a flat plate that bolts to the flex plate, has a spigot on one side that goes into the crank and a tube that sticks out the other that has a spline in it to engage the input shaft spline and tangs on the end to drive the pump, the seal on the front of your trans runs on the outside of the tube.

A competent machinist should be able to measure your torque converter and make you one, the only tricky bit is the spline.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:32 AM »
Thanks Jon. Do you think cutting up the converter and using the original shaft would work?.

Offline Jon

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 06:05:59 AM »
I would give that a crack Mike.

Get your machinist to measure up all the drive and mounting points of your torque converter.

Take it home and cut it up and pull out the bit with the spline and give it to him.

That way he can can fabricate and machine everything other than the spline, all pretty simple stuff.
Then machine the part the spline is in down so its a press fit inside the tube and give it a couple of plug welds to stop it turning.

It's not the "correct" way to do it but I recon you'd break a lot of driveline components before that lets go.

I am a little rough though, grew up in the sticks and used to making stuff out of what I could lay my hands on.

jon
Underhouse Engineering

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
   Is this what you are looking for, only for a C-4?
  Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]