Author Topic: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!  (Read 20542 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2013, 04:23:10 AM »
Ryan,

there is nothing wrong to start a fundraiser....but maybe, so young you are you have not seen that the moment to ask here at Landracing was a very unlucky timing.

Your bad luck was, that two, not very popular fundraiser, was still in the mind of the users from Landracing.com.

I think I know your dad and he done a great job on the streamliner, also you can see the influence of my old buddy Jack Costella.

Running at the salt is a dream......sometimes it needs a little bit longer to turn this dream into reality...and so it needs patience......I can tell this from my own experience... :roll:

Your dad isn't that old.....for a salt racer he still young......and sometimes it helps to wait a little bit....pressure was never a helper at the salt.

And maybe your try opens a other door......the spirit of Bonneville shows up in the strangest way.......

I wish you all the best luck and don't be frustrated about the current result.....you had just a bad luck with your unfortunately timing....but time will tell you if it was really a bad timing....

and as you wrote, who not ask will get no answer.....only that sometimes the answer can be different than your hope......it is like the salt.....you run....and after the meet you go home with a record or a pack of experience.....but important is, that you have give a try.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline FADED

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
Ryan,

I could not help but noticed a nice red 27 Ford T in a couple of the pictures on the website and one on the Facebook link. If your Dad still has that car I would think about putting it up for sale. Selling it would solve all your financial woes. You could be at Bonneville this year with money to spend.

Tom G.

Tom,

My Uncle Steve bought that 27 T in 2006 just months before he passed away. He and my Dad never got the chance to restore it together like they had planned. So my Dad, my brothers and I restored it together as a tribute. And if you'll notice, the streamliner build is dedicated to my Uncle, and it is painted the same red as the T Bucket. Needless to say, it is not, nor will it ever be for sale. But thank you for the suggestion.

I completely understand the budgets (or lack thereof) that every racer has to live by. I grew up around racing, I've watched my Dad exchange favors for people in exchange for parts ect... I race motorcycles myself. Believe me, I know what it's like to scrape and scrounge for money and parts. Hell, I have to come up with money to fix my motorcycle by June for Fontana. But for some reason you all think I am trying to raise money for this streamliner as if I'M the one benefiting. I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this for my Dad. He's not the one asking for help. He (like many of you) would never dream of asking anybody for money to fund his hobbies. Just like I would never ask anyone for money to fund my personal hobbies. We all have too much pride and respect for one another to do such a thing.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with a son creating a fundraiser in an attempt to help his Dad and show him that there are poeple willing to get behind him. You all are making this out to be something synical and taking the fun out of it.

Ryan I think what Tom was saying is sometimes we need to sacrafice a "toy" to move on to another? I know I do, I have a LONG list of, I wish I still had's. We have NO money for this hobby and this is why we're only running 80mph, I would love a 250mph roadster but that aint gonna happen unless I hit the lotto. The bottom line is WE'RE DOING IT and haveing the times of our life, even with no money, sleeping in the dirt and eating raw potatos at the events. Good luck it will come in time! See you at El Mo in May! 

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Help my Dad get to Bonneville on your dime!
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
All he (the son) needs to do is take out a loan on his house or a line of credit and give the money to his Pop, I am certain his father would be happy for sure. :cheers:  If not give the money to another racer :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
Pork Pie;

Your statement

"...and as you wrote, who not ask will get no answer....."

Reminded me of a saying of one of my Dad's fellow officers, Major Louis Greenfield, had: "You don't ask, you don't get."

BTW, Joline and I just returned from a trip to Germany and we both enjoyed it very much. Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin sure has changed since 1963!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2013, 07:05:55 AM »
Neil,

great to hear that you and Joline had a nice time in Berlin.

Could you meet your German friend?

Hope you can make it to the salt this year - looking for to seeing you there.

All the best

Pork Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
Pork Pie;

Yes, we did meet Wolfgang and his wife Doris. We were there in Soltau for his 50th- year anniversary celebration of his escape from East Berlin. Coincidentally, his East German army training had been on the island of Rugen; we had already made reservations to stay there in Sellin for a few days before driving on to Berlin. BTW, we drove past the spot on the Frankfurt- Darmstadt autobahn where Bernd Rosemeyer was killed in the Auto-Union LSR streamliner.

Thanks so much for your help in locating Wolfgang. Yes, I plan to tow my car to Speedweek to get an inspection even though it won't be completely finished by then.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ