Author Topic: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!  (Read 20540 times)

Offline Cereal KLR

Re: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
I have not seen a racer turn down a request for time, parts/tools loaned or build and transport assistance whenever it was possible.

Money only seems to come into play when something unusual occurs. Last year a hat was passed after a rider had to dismount his bike at speed when external combustion left it unsuitable to continue, then left it a smouldering pile. When people see a major failure or accident that affects driver or their families, the wallets come out.  
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline dw230

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
bak189 -

The same amount as you if you discount the $4 sticker. Supporting three cars takes all the time and resources I can bear. As mentioned here a majority of LSR racers are self funded and that is one of the beauties of this sport. Can't afford an event, don't go. Eat an apple for desert, skip the Tiramisu.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »
I have not seen a racer turn down a request for time, parts/tools loaned or build and transport assistance whenever it was possible.

Money only seems to come into play when something unusual occurs. Last year a hat was passed after a rider had to dismount his bike at speed when external combustion left it unsuitable to continue, then left it a smouldering pile. When people see a major failure or accident that affects driver or their families, the wallets come out.  

Ive seen that many times over the years when someone has crashed at the drags or has suffered some kind of medical issue or some kind of financial hardship away from the track. Racers are very generous at times when it comes to situations like that.

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
Dan....

I'm so broke.....

My Girlfriend ate.. Tiramisu  at that nice restaurant   Romanza @ Montego Bay...

since I couldn't afford it...

I had to just eat her...

bob   :-D

Offline bak189

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
DW.......Well said...............We go back a long ways...........I have always found you to be one of the few SCTA/BNI
"officials" that would take the time to resolve any and all our problems.......thanks for all your volunteer work over all these past years......hopefully they won't dump you like they did Glen...................................................................

Sorry, not really the subject at hand.........I think Ryan by now understands to go and find dollars in other places....
Question authority.....always

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
We can only hope. Nothing against his effort, just the wrong venue. Example: I just spent a day and a half making a throttle pedal assembly from shop leftovers to fit the wifes camaro so I wouldn't drop a c-note on buying  one. Now I can buy oil and filters... yea  :-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
bak189 -

..... Supporting three cars takes all the time and resources I can bear. As mentioned here a majority of LSR racers are self funded and that is one of the beauties of this sport. Can't afford an event, don't go. Eat an apple for desert, skip the Tiramisu.

DW
Well said Dan, I haven't run a car in 2 years as money has been tight. But on the flip side I did enjoy going to the events and giving 100% of my time to help anyone who needed it. This year is going to be a little better, I will be running a car. Peter.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline dw230

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Glad to hear that Peter.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Ryan,

I could not help but noticed a nice red 27 Ford T in a couple of the pictures on the website and one on the Facebook link. If your Dad still has that car I would think about putting it up for sale. Selling it would solve all your financial woes. You could be at Bonneville this year with money to spend.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
  Just a addition to what Rich said:  In 1980 our country entered into a severe depression economy which amongst other things bankrupt the company I was employed by.
  To stay alive, I worked for the next three years in the Oil Fields of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.
  We worked nine weeks on, two weeks off so to keep from having to store my earthly goods, get rid of my pets and anything else that gave me a reason for hope, I offered my house as is, free rent, to people I didn't know (eleven in total) and only asked that they pay their personal phone bills, take care of my pets and handle any emergency.
  After three years and upon returning home for good, I totaled it all up:  Not one of them so much as washed a window, one cat died from lack of care, several personal items were stolen, and I ate about a grand worth of phone charges.
  Moral to the story:  As has been said by many before me, Never give anything for free, it won't be appreciated (especially be friends or relatives who will commit suicide before repaying you).
  On the other hand, my first year I showed up with a never fired or completed Race Car and it took us three days to make it to tech.  
  Innocent bystanders ended up under the car helping hook things up.  Al Teague GAVE me several AN fittings (he said he was to busy to look, just go dig in the box and take what you need)!  He refused any money for the three or four HI-Buck fittings I took.
  From that day on I have loaned or given ballast weights, hardware, Fuel, Tires and Tools to anyone who has asked.
  I have never charged a dime only asked that they be returned ASAP.
  The ballast (which I had forgotten about) came back one year later but in fact DID COME BACK!
  Moral to story............  99%% of Bville Racers would shoot their Dog before screwing you.................... friends and relatives figure you can afford it.......  
                                                                                              One Run, out
Bob Drury

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
White goose bar needs to sponsor a FUNNY CAR 8-)
Mike cook jr

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
Why, Junior?  Won't they even let you visit for beers as it is now? :cheers: :cheers:  Take your car to the salt?  Nah, probably not.  So how're we going to see it run?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Dang,

All of you beat me to it.. :cheers:

One year I spent over 56k (over half of my income at the time) to buy parts to race, entry's, leathers, travel, fuel etc...it's not even a race..its a time trial..good thing I came in first. :roll:

JohnFNNoonan

Offline dw230

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
Junior knows that the Cook clan, with its wide spread family tree limbs, are always welcome at the WGB. We are looking forward to putting wood blocks on the pedals of the roadster so that Courtney can drive.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 12:34:52 AM »
Ryan,

I could not help but noticed a nice red 27 Ford T in a couple of the pictures on the website and one on the Facebook link. If your Dad still has that car I would think about putting it up for sale. Selling it would solve all your financial woes. You could be at Bonneville this year with money to spend.

Tom G.

Tom,

My Uncle Steve bought that 27 T in 2006 just months before he passed away. He and my Dad never got the chance to restore it together like they had planned. So my Dad, my brothers and I restored it together as a tribute. And if you'll notice, the streamliner build is dedicated to my Uncle, and it is painted the same red as the T Bucket. Needless to say, it is not, nor will it ever be for sale. But thank you for the suggestion.

I completely understand the budgets (or lack thereof) that every racer has to live by. I grew up around racing, I've watched my Dad exchange favors for people in exchange for parts ect... I race motorcycles myself. Believe me, I know what it's like to scrape and scrounge for money and parts. Hell, I have to come up with money to fix my motorcycle by June for Fontana. But for some reason you all think I am trying to raise money for this streamliner as if I'M the one benefiting. I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this for my Dad. He's not the one asking for help. He (like many of you) would never dream of asking anybody for money to fund his hobbies. Just like I would never ask anyone for money to fund my personal hobbies. We all have too much pride and respect for one another to do such a thing.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with a son creating a fundraiser in an attempt to help his Dad and show him that there are poeple willing to get behind him. You all are making this out to be something synical and taking the fun out of it.