Author Topic: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!  (Read 20546 times)

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
Re: Help my Dad get to Bonneville!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
1990    200 mph club 298.370

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
Another possibility is to use the combined knowledge of the forum to source parts.

Some folks here might have spare pieces  or know where you can find the parts your looking for.
That can be as good as money in the bank.

Also the combined experience can be a helpful knowledge base regarding parts that look good on paper but others have had problems with out on the salt, ranging from just plain don't work as advertised, work most of the time but customer service from the vendor sucks, to is reliable and the vendor will bend over backward to get you out on the course if you have a problem. Avoiding burning money on problematic parts can also be as good as money in the bank.

Wish you and your dad luck and success getting out there on the salt, car looks like a good build from what I have seen.

larry

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
Hey, Ryan -

I know it might sound like people are beating up on you here - we're not, trust me.

What I've found with friends and organizations doing kick-starter type things is that your best resource is going to be your personal contacts.  People who know you, people who know your dad, your family members, friends. 

At first blush, a site dedicated to the same passion your father has might seem to be a good source.  But the truth is, it's kind of like trying to pick up date at a convent on a Wednesday night before vespers.

A really well worded e-mail to your friends and family that includes a call-to-action and some phone calls to make sure they've been directed to the site will very likely put you at your goal.  Truth be told, considering what he's already put into it, what you looking to fund is the entry fee, fuel, hotel and meals.  If your e-mail and correspondences were to spell out what your father has already invested in this project, and your passion to help him were clearly demonstrated, I suspect you'll make that 5G goal pretty easily.

The biggest mistake I see with these type of fund raising efforts is that too often, the organizer tends to let the Kick Starter do all the work.  It's only a tool - it still requires an operator.

Good luck Ryan.

Sincerely

Chris Conrad 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
Well said Midget  :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
7800ebs, it sure looked like a "bare bones effort" back in 1986.   :-o
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
A "Bare Bones project" for sure. I am pretty familiar with the current record holding car in H/BFS. I can see your dads car is much more nicely finished. But Jack puts them out there and without asking for monetary help. It's just unseemly.

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
7800ebs forgot to mention the 330+ 3mile time in 2012.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 7800ebs

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
OK .. OK...

so 26 years later...

With Mr Jackson's help...  I got the ride of a lifetime..... Looking for More..

Bonneville racing is a Journey... of Personal Growth... at it's Best and Worst... lol

You can start with a load of Money ... and Buy a Red Hat... or..

YOU BUILD IT .... scratch for every dime... (or $100 bill) .... rebuild it..  and enjoy the Journey..

I am enjoying the Journey with Don Jackson, Darren Mayer, Garran , My Boys, and the Guys at my Shop..
and my other friends...

It is all about the Journey..

enjoy the ride..

Bob

Offline 7800ebs

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »
Thanks to me wrecking Mr Jackson's Supercharger.... (Remember to Loctite bolts near/or inside Injector)

We have a new one for 2013...

Thank You Mr Jackson and Mr Mayer...

Should run good...  Only picked up 50% more power...  :-o

now back to my vegan diet so I can fit in the car....  :cry:

bob

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
 :-o is there a motor under that thing :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
A "Bare Bones project" for sure. I am pretty familiar with the current record holding car in H/BFS. I can see your dads car is much more nicely finished. But Jack puts them out there and without asking for monetary help. It's just unseemly.

Help is help, no matter what form it comes in, and there is no shame in asking for it.. My Dad just spent a couple hundred dollars of his own money to drive up to San Jose to help Jack Costella build his new lakester. So in a sense that is monetary help. Hell the roll cage for Jack's lakester was just sitting in my dad's garage because he was welding it for Jack. My dad has little time to spare and even less money, but he is willing to go the extra mile to help others achieve their goals.

What is "unseemly" is the negativity from some of you. I've learned that the lsr "family" is a good, positive group of people who are willing to do mostly anything to help thier fellow racers along, which is what I was hoping to find here...

I do appreciate all of your advice though. A lot of you have been around lsr for along time and I respect that. But I'm trying to do something positive for my father. So let's leave all the negativity out of it. If you'd like to help, great. If not, that's fine too.... no need to make a big deal about it either way.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
Jack informs me he will take any monetary help offered. So will I.

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
So what is "unseemly" about me putting the word out that my dad could use help?

"If you don't ask, the answer is always no."

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »

Same here. As of now I have funded all of our car out of my pocket save for $200. What I really could use is a new toter and trailer. Nothing extravagant, a Freightliner and 35 foot trailer will do :-D  Oh, and fuel money for the rig! :-o

Offline Ryanboz46

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »

Same here. As of now I have funded all of our car out of my pocket save for $200. What I really could use is a new toter and trailer. Nothing extravagant, a Freightliner and 35 foot trailer will do :-D  Oh, and fuel money for the rig! :-o

Lol. Let me refer you to www.indiegogo.com. haha cheers! :cheers: