Author Topic: Trailer tires  (Read 6513 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Trailer tires
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
 Blew a tire on my travel trailer while on vacation last week. It was a Carlisle radial tire that delaminated @ 50 mph, two axle trailer and the tire was 2 1/2 years old. I replaced the tir with a towmaster. I talked to 3 tire dealers and Camping world as well and all said the carlisle that they replace over all other tires due to the delamination. The tow masters are now carried by Costco as well and is in most major towns. We are replacing all of the tires on the two streamliner trailers with tow masters before speed week.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
Glen;

So far Costco Towmaster tires have survived two trips from Tucson to Bonneville then to Lake Tahoe and home. They still look good. Inflation pressure needs to be checked often and at every rest stop a hand should be placed on the tread of all tires and on the hubs to see if any are running hot. Tire load range should be as high as you can get.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Neil, I always chech the air pressure and hubs before leaving and each time we stop. Do a walk around as well on truck. I carry a small 3 gallon 100 psi air compressor in the trailer and have a generator along with a electric impact wrench. Have towed many miles over the years and have learned for others plus it happen to me experience. BTW are goint to make SW this year?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »
  I usually average two trailer tires per trip with a triple axle trailer.  I also carry two new spares and if I blow a tire I stop in the next town and replace it.  I would never tow without two spares.
  My main problem is that I built the trailer with three 6000 pound axles which are six lug and only recently found out about 16" six lug wheels.
  Unfortunately I have eight new or newer 15" ten ply tires and wheels so starting over with the 16" would cost a bundle.
  I ran Carlisle 15" ten plies and every one of them threw the entire tread off over three years time.  Thank God I finally ran out of them.
  I carry a heat temperature gun in the truck and check the trailer tire temps any time I stop.  It can also help you to see if you are losing a wheel bearing if you shoot it at the hub (and also to see if you have a lean cylinder during warm up).
  If I was starting from scratch I would run 16" "E" rated (10 ply rated) truck tires.  I don't think "trailer" tires are as good as what I use on my truck.   

p.s.  If you have a hot tire, it needs more air no matter what the psi is.  I have found that on a hot day the tires on the sunny side of the trailer will run about twenty degrees hotter than the shady side.                                                                             Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »
I have found on my moving trailers, that trailer tires designed for trailers, dont tear up axles when backing and turning. And run cooler ( not much, but some) than truck tires run in their location. Goodyear makes a lovely g range trailer tire that i lusted after for a while, not being able to swap to it before selling my trailer makes me still want it.  But the sets i have seen on large 5th wheel campers look great still and the owners swear by them. One even had his teton home lay over and drag his truck over in a corner, they righted it and drove it to texas from alaska on the same set of tires.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
Guess I'll speak up for Carlisle. I too was loosing tires fron the get go with my 20' 7000# trailer. Lost the rated for trailer on the first trip. Upgraded to Goodyears and a 10,000# rating for 4 tires and lost 2 of them in the second year.

Finally found a "E" rated at 2830# per tire and it was a Carlisle # 5151411. That put me @ 11,320# for my 7000# trailer. The tire weighed 5 pounds more than the standard 225-15 75R and my troubles have been gone for 5 years. I cover my tires and rims to keep the sun off and that may help.

The guy at the tire shop that put them on said "where did you find these"...I've been back and he said he has sold a lot of them and none has come back....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline gande

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
The trailers with 15" D rated tires I have paid attention to had D rated wheels. The D rated wheels were spec'ed at 2540 lbs and 60 PSI inflation pressure. Most D rated tires are spec'ed at 65 PSI inflation pressure. We start out operating in the safety margin and wonder why we have so much trouble.

Gary

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Glen;

I plan to tow a trailer with my car up to Speed Week but I'm pretty sure it won't be ready to run just yet. A trip to Europe with Joline has put me behind schedule but the trip was so great that I won't complain.

I hope to get the unfinished car inspected so I can benefit from the inspectors' comments and criticism. Any ideas about how to get an inspection of an incomplete car? I've seen a couple of similar instances in the past but I don't know how it was arranged. Do I need the logbook, etc.?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
Here are some useful tips for trailer tires.

Tom G.

Trailer Tires Safety and Facts

So you're headed on a trip, taking the boat out for a cruise, or pulling other tools and toys with your trailer? As you plan for this adventure, don't forget about your trailer tires and making sure they are ready for the long haul. 

As we begin this trailer tire discussion, it's important to begin any conversation with the fact that not all trailer tire problems are immediately visible. Trailer tires may be worn out, even though they still have plenty of tread left. This is because trailer tires carry a lot of weight, even when not in use. It is actually better for trailer tires to be rolling down the road than sitting still.

During actual use, trailer tires release lubricants that are beneficial to a tire's life. Using the trailer tires often also helps prevent flat spots from developing on the tires. Trailer Tires sitting on hard surfaces such as concrete or asphalt for extended periods of time can develop flat spots that can lead to tread separation once you put them back into service, no matter the thickness of the tire's tread. Since your entire trailer's performance is based largely on the tires, it's a good idea to keep your trailer tires well maintained. Be sure to periodically inspect your tires, especially before and during long trips. A good time for this inspection is while checking tire inflation pressure.

Trailer Tire Inflation & Temperature

The main cause of trailer tire failure is underinflation. Check your trailer tires often, for proper inflation levels. Most trailer tire manufacturers recommend adjusting the air pressure to the maximum pounds per square inch (PSI) listed on the sidewall of the tire. If you inflate the tires to less than the maximum inflation level, you dramatically reduce the load carrying capacity of the trailer tire. The max load listed on the sidewall is only true when the trailer tire is inflated with the recommended maximum air pressure also listed.

Trailer Tires are not impervious to air loss; in fact, the rule of thumb for air loss is that for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your trailer tire's inflation pressure will change approximately 1 PSI (increase with higher temperatures and decrease with lower air temperature). This element is especially important with boat trailer tires, because in most parts of North America, the difference between average summer and winter temperatures is about -50° Fahrenheit, which results in a potential "loss" of about 5 psi as winter's temperatures set in. A 5 psi "loss" is enough to sacrifice load capacity, handling, traction, and durability for your trailer tires. Additionally, the difference between cold nighttime temperatures and hot daytime temperatures in most parts of the country is about 20° Fahrenheit. This means that after setting tire pressures first thing in the morning, the trailer's tire pressure will be almost 2 psi higher when measured in the afternoon. While that is expected, the potential problem occurs when you set the trailer tire pressures in the heat of an afternoon, while the "cold" trailer tire pressure could be 2 psi low the following morning.

So again, check the air pressure in your trailer tires periodically to assure that the influences of time, changes in ambient temperatures, or small tread punctures have not caused a change in your trailer tire's air pressure. Remember, a drop in air pressure could cause the tire to become overloaded, leading to excessive heat build up. Trailer tires that are under-inflated, even for a short period of time, may suffer internal damage.

The Rubber Manufacturing Association (RMA) states that a tire used at less than 80% of the maximum inflation could cause damage to trailer tires. Run a hand across the tread of the tire, to check for excessive feathering. Tire feathering is where each tread block has a distinct raised edge caused by uneven wear. Tire feathering is more typical of trailer tires on a tow vehicle, and is an early sign of an axle alignment problem, bad bearings, or possibly loose spindle nuts and may require more attention.

Trailer Tire Cracks & Bulging

Along with the air pressure and tread characteristics, it is also very important to check for cracks in your trailer tires. If the cracks are more than 2/32 inch deep, the trailer tire should be replaced immediately. Check the sidewall for bulges that are indicative of carcass (cord) failure or impact break, while also verifying that the valve stem and cap are in good shape. An old, cracked valve stem can break off, leading to a sudden loss of pressure and a potential hazardous situation for the driver and other traffic.

If one trailer tire fails, the remaining trailer tires will have to suddenly compensate by supporting the increased load the failed tire was carrying. This sudden increase of weight may overload the other trailer tires, causing a chain reaction blowout or other internal damage. If you have experienced a tire blowout, make sure you check the other tires for damage and/or take your trailer tires to a local tire shop for evaluation.

Trailer Tire Life Span & Replacement

High speed towing in hot conditions degrades trailer tires significantly. As heat builds up during driving, the tire's internal structure starts to breakdown, compromising the strength of the tire. It is recommended to not exceed 60 miles per hour (MPH) while towing a trailer. 3 to 5 years of service is the average life expectancy of a Trailer Tire. After three years of use you should consider replacing your trailer tires with new, even if the tires have adequate tread depth left. After five years of service, trailer tires are considered worn out and should be replaced.

When replacing trailer tires, it's a good idea to replace all of your trailer tires at once to ensure your trailer tows properly, but if you're not buying a complete set, make sure you purchase individual tires that match the others on your trailer.Also make sure your trailer tires are "ST" specially designed for trailers. ST or Special Trailer service tires are stiffer than the radial tires found on most cars and trucks. This stiffness helps to protect against trailer sway.

Cleaning & Storing Trailer Tires

If you are storing your trailer for an extended period, it is always best that you store the tires in a cool dry place with tire covers to protect your trailer tires from the harsh effects of the sun. Lifting and blocking the trailer just enough to get the weight off the tires and reducing air pressure for storage, can also increase the overall life of your trailer tires. Keep your tires clean by washing them with a soft scrub brush, mild soap and water. Use caution when selecting tire care products, and do not use any that contain alcohol or petroleum distillates, which can actually accelerate breakdown of the tire compound.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:12:06 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
  Thanks Tom and Crackerman.
  That is more information than I have gotten from all of the many Tire Sales Personnel I have had the pleasure (?) to meet in The Dalles, Pendleton, Ontario, Boise, Twin Falls, and of course here in Vancouver, Wa.
  In Twin Falls they know me as "oh, Jesus, not him again".
  Not a single one of them has appeared to have any knowledge about what constitutes a "trailer tire" other than to promote the "Ply" rating (not to be confused with ACTUAL PLY COUNT).
  I will be the first to admit that I treat my trailer tires like crap, hauling eleven thousand pounds on six tires for fourteen straight hours at "semi legal" speeds on some pretty crappy roads, but I am in a hurry............. to get my "one run" or tow vehicle repairs on the Salt accomplished.
                                                                                         Bob "OneRun" Drury

Bob Drury

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
Neil....If you wait until Monday or Tuesday when the Inspectors are not so busy, we can usually get together and go through your vehicle. Just turn up and ask one of us if you can bring your car through. If you have your log book, we can write notes and suggestions down for you, or you can take notes yourself. Don`t forget, We are looking for Safety Items and construction details- any questions re classification rulings might require that you track down the contact in the Rulebook. If that is still Lee Kennedy for MS, it may take a bit of doing as he is flat out everywhere, all the time during the Meet. Hope to meet you and see your craftsmanship first hand......

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 02:37:23 AM »
Neil....If you wait until Monday or Tuesday when the Inspectors are not so busy, we can usually get together and go through your vehicle. Just turn up and ask one of us if you can bring your car through. If you have your log book, we can write notes and suggestions down for you, or you can take notes yourself. Don`t forget, We are looking for Safety Items and construction details- any questions re classification rulings might require that you track down the contact in the Rulebook. If that is still Lee Kennedy for MS, it may take a bit of doing as he is flat out everywhere, all the time during the Meet. Hope to meet you and see your craftsmanship first hand......

Thanks, I'll do that; any feedback will be greatly appreciated.