Author Topic: Brunskilltown Bullet  (Read 99991 times)

Offline DLRA#363

Re: Brunskilltown Bullet
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
Neil,
Great minds often think alike :wink: :wink:

I decided this was the way to go and fitted it a month or so back.

Cheers for now,
Tony
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:23:11 PM by DLRA#363 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
Sid sings a sweet song that many should listen to.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
Continuing with the back end of the racer and have made up the chute anchors and push bar mounting etc.

Setting up the chute tubes next.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 07:48:37 AM by DLRA#363 »

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2015, 08:06:21 AM »
Chute tubes mounted with hi-speed 8 foot chute in the lower tube.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
With the high speed on the bottom you will need to tie back the low speed tow line so you don't get a double deploy or a tangle situation.
If you make a notch in the side of each tube to capture the line, (one left one right) that will allow you to deploy either at any time.
Joe tends to recommend chutes that are a little on the big side for LSR & that 8ft high speed will probably hit you like a truck so you might need to choke down the shroud lines to soften the hit. A couple of loops of electrical tape about two feet out from the canopy works well, it holds it together enough to soften the hit then the blossom will will pop it off.
As chutes pick up salt they grow in volume so have some removable spacers in the tubes so you can adjust for that.
  Sid.   

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
Many thanks Sid for your constructive comments. :-)
What are your thoughts about the length of the tether line for the small chute?
The great thing about land speed racing is the wealth of knowledge gained from experience that is shared around.
Whilst it will most likely take a few years to get up to speeds where we need to use the hi-speed chute, I intend to test it when the car is first run next  February/March.

Cheers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2015, 11:40:26 PM »
I have my 1st on a 60' and my second on 45'---both of mine are 6' diameter chutes

I have a larger cross form for El M--- as a secondary
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:38:50 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
With the high speed being an 8 footer you might like the feel of that as your only chute unless you need to get out of there in a hurry because it's on fire or you $hit in your fire suit or something. You'll know what you like once you unload them a few times.
Length is relevant to speed, the faster the deployment speed the longer the tow line needs to be so it lessens the deflection angle.
I would think you'd be ok with a 30ft tow line on the high speed but if you don't already have one you might want to start out with a 40 so as your speed starts leaving 200 behind you don't start upsetting the car. It's cheaper to buy one that's a little long & then grow into it than have to replace one that's too short. It's just like pants when you were a kid. :-D
About a 10ft length difference between high & low is good up to about 300 ish but you might need more to get the low speed shroud lines to be clear of the low speed canopy. In other words you don't want shroud lines beside shroud lines, that is inviting a tangle. There is a "but in the case of " with that statement but it doesn't apply here.
How big is your low speed monster? You might need to get some eyeball retainers for that baby.  :-o
  Sid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2015, 11:50:23 PM »
I have my 1st on a 60' and my second on 45'
He has a lot shorter distance from the tow point to the rear axle so he can get away with less.
  Sid.

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2015, 06:23:18 AM »
Thanks for the input Guys,
Whilst we only have the requisite to deploy the chute on our 175MPH licence pass I intend to us mine on the lower speed passes to check out my deployment system. :-)
I currently have 4 chutes (all Deist) to work with and am not sure about how to determine the actual size of each one!!
All of the chutes were purchased second hand and 2 are new and unused.
All are cross form with 4 tether lines each.
My question is how to measure the actual chute canopy for size to determine if it is a 7,10, or 12 foot chute??
Is this canopy area?? or measurement to the canopy extremities?
Area is a simple calculation and I already have recommendations from Joe Hansen as to what car weight vs chute area will apply.

Sorry if I appear somewhat dumb on this matter but when I was drag racing over 45 years ago we either stopped or crapped ourselves :-P :-P

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
Might try just weighing them, should be a noticeable difference in weight from small to the largest if you just want to know which is bigger and which is smallest.

A call to the manufacture might tip you off to a way of telling using product numbers or some other characteristic.
Do they have a visible product id or serial number on them?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:52:19 AM by hotrod »

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »
Thanks Hotrod, I have been able to find the serial numbers on 3 of the chutes and will send a request to Deist for clarification.

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 04:42:36 AM »
With the high speed being an 8 footer you might like the feel of that as your only chute unless you need to get out of there in a hurry because it's on fire or you $hit in your fire suit or something. You'll know what you like once you unload them a few times.
Length is relevant to speed, the faster the deployment speed the longer the tow line needs to be so it lessens the deflection angle.
I would think you'd be ok with a 30ft tow line on the high speed but if you don't already have one you might want to start out with a 40 so as your speed starts leaving 200 behind you don't start upsetting the car. It's cheaper to buy one that's a little long & then grow into it than have to replace one that's too short. It's just like pants when you were a kid. :-D
About a 10ft length difference between high & low is good up to about 300 ish but you might need more to get the low speed shroud lines to be clear of the low speed canopy. In other words you don't want shroud lines beside shroud lines, that is inviting a tangle. There is a "but in the case of " with that statement but it doesn't apply here.
How big is your low speed monster? You might need to get some eyeball retainers for that baby.  :-o
  Sid.

Sid,
The low speed chute is a 14ft cross form with a 30 ft tow line.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »
The 30' tow line is really the minimum but should be fine with the short leverage distance you have between the attach point & the rear axle.
How are you measuring the 14ft?
Do the cross form panels taper down to a single shroud line point or are they squared off with two or three shroud lines per panel?
What size is your high speed chute?
How long is your high speed tow line?
  Sid.

Offline DLRA#363

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
Sid,

The cross form panels taper to a single shroud line point and measure 7' along the main seam from the center where the bridle line attaches to the point of the panel so this would make it a 14 foot chute. This one has a serial number written in marker pen on it followed by the number 14 which adds up.

I also have another Deist cross form that measures out to be 18' tip to tip and it is of a heavier type of material with the center square section being double layer! It has a 18' foot tow line (from the Loop to the Confluence Point) then 4 single Shroud Lines each measuring 15'.

The high speed chute measures 2' 6" from panel tip to tip with a center square that is 12". Currently it only has a 16 foot long tow line but I can get that extended when the time comes to need it.

The distance from my chute anchor point to the center of the rear axle is 32" and the wheelbase of the car is 145".

Cheers for now.