Author Topic: Window net mounting ideas.  (Read 8704 times)

Offline SteveM

Window net mounting ideas.
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
OK - in my endless stream of "looking for ideas" posts, it's time to get my window net mounting figured out.  I spent some time noodling on the window net requirements.  Here's a pic of the window/door opening...

What I haven't been able to figure out is a good location for the latch hardware.  The absolute top of the opening is about 14".  I think I will need to move the upper window net bar down a little bit, maybe to the point where the net would be 16" long across the top.

The bottom part of the net will need to be about 24" (The opening is 27" across the bottom).   

I'm open for suggestions regarding the upper bar rod and hardware, as well as any alternative solutions to the common "seat belt" style latch.

Please help with your advice regarding the window net mounting.

STeve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Window net mounting ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »
If it's any consolation, you've got a lot more room than I had to deal with this.

Keep in mind that you'll be wearing a suit and gloves.

The seat belt latch not only locates the net vertically, it also locates the net horizontally.  You hit the button, it drops, you push the net forward, and flip it out.  Then you get to Micky Mouse around with the door handle.  Ah, the thrill of making a production car with tight quarters safety compliant . . .

Additionally, if you are in a situation where you need assistance, just about anybody on the course will recognise it for what it is and be able to get it out of the way.

You might be able to come up with a hair pin arrangement with a teather.  I initially was thinking of a telescoping spring-loaded shower curtain type rod until I realized that if it got bent, I might not be able to remove it.

The folks at Stroud provided a decent product, but as with most safety folks, they're loath to "suggest" anything safety related.  There's a fine line between helping a customer and "engineering" attachments for a custom piece of safety equipment.  But they took my pictures and my measurements and came up with a good fitting net.

I wound up not using most of the attachment pieces that came with the net install kit - My welding guy came up with better solutions, but I've got a small box of leftovers I'll drop in the mail to you - might make figuring it out a bit easier.

PM me your address.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I understand why folks are not in the business of making recommendations about installation of safety equipment.

One tip I have used over the years, to let them know that I'd like to hear some advice, but not look for direct recommendations (whether it's OSHA, insurance companies, equipment manufacturers, etc.) is to ask a question along the lines of

"Have you seen any similar installations where someone else found a good solution?", or "How have other people handled this issue?"

Thinking in those terms:

"Chris - have you seen any solutions to the seat belt mounting hardware that you liked better than others?"  I'd be particularly interested to find out if it seems better to have the latch mounted at the rear of the opening, or the front of the opening.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:24:25 AM »
I'm thinking of doing something pretty much like this..., borrowed from another racer's thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zTwqExXt_I&feature=youtu.be

Steve

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
I'm thinking of doing something pretty much like this..., borrowed from another racer's thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zTwqExXt_I&feature=youtu.be

Steve
Good steal steve. :roll:
  Sid.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
Over the years, with our Vega, we had to do several net "upgrades".... along with new mounting and attachments. The cage structue is similar in design....

I have no idea how to compress a few pictures of the net and supports/mounts and post them on here....

I guess I could email them to you .. is the address in your profile a good one to send to?
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
Over the years, with our Vega, we had to do several net "upgrades".... along with new mounting and attachments. The cage structue is similar in design....

I have no idea how to compress a few pictures of the net and supports/mounts and post them on here....

I guess I could email them to you .. is the address in your profile a good one to send to?

Yep, and thanks.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

Yep, and thanks.

Steve.

Please repost them for the rest of us Steve!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
With Fastman's permission, I'd be happy to.

Steve.

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 05:10:36 PM »
I plan to update my car to this:

Still a seat belt latch on the other end.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

"Chris - have you seen any solutions to the seat belt mounting hardware that you liked better than others?"  I'd be particularly interested to find out if it seems better to have the latch mounted at the rear of the opening, or the front of the opening.

Steve, I didn't know you were a lawyer!  :-D

As to whether the latch should be at the front or the back, the process I used to determine where the net latch went on my car was dictated by my emergency exit strategy.  In my case, my strategy is -

1. Pull the fire suppression handle/handles
2. Remove the steering wheel
3. Unlatch the harness
4. Unlatch the net, push it forward and let it fall
5. Pull Hartwell latches lanyard
6. Pull door lanyard
7. Pull the latch for lateral head restraint and swing it out of the way (it's hinged - see photo below)
8. getthehelloutofthecar

As my lateral restraint is hinged and has a built-in dead-bolt, and given the tight confines of the Midget, it was necessary for me to put the net latch in the front, as I would not have been able to reach it easily because my lateral head restraint would interfere.

I can see all of my safety equipment and latches with my helmet on, strapped into the seat, and without having to turn my head.  If the cockpit were to fill with smoke, I know that everything is within easy reach and easily operated with my gloves on.  That's the criteria I used to determine the locations.

Your mileage may vary.  :wink:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
I plan to update my car to this:

Still a seat belt latch on the other end.

That's a cool idea.  One change I would probably make would be to move the rod end to the inside of the cage structure.  Per the rulebook, all tabs and brackets must be mounted inside the outer edge of the roll cage structure.

Steve.

Offline wickedwagens

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
How did you end up doing yours?  I'm struggling on mine right now. 
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »
We learned rather quickly to put all the anchors on the bottom and use latching system that fully releases at the top. That way the net can rest on the window sill and doesn't come down and interfere with entrance and exit. A latch at the top at either end or a latch at one end and a socket at the other works really well.

Pete

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
Safety belt type releases are readily available from Speedway type "box" stores for Circle Track use. EZ to weld in and release. You can even weld a washer and pin a spring in at the head end and when you push the button to release it all falls away...Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro