Author Topic: Clear coat aluminum disc  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Clear coat aluminum disc
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
Has anybody tried clear coating moon discs?

I was just wondering if that would help in protecting them?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline dw230

Re: Clear coat aluminum disc
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:03:06 PM »
Clear coated by Moon is a extra cost option.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
yes and many anodize them to match the car color.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »
One scratch and that Brillo pad won't save them.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »
Yes. My experience with clear powder coated aluminum wasn't that great. Looked good for a while. Then pretty bad. I wouldn't do it again.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
I shot ours with clear acrylic, ....it comes off with a scourer, what it does do is stop them getting attacked badly in the first week or so after you get home....give 'em a quick rub with the green scourer and another quick blast.....wouldn't use anything more resilient than that stuff.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
I've used rattle can clear spray with decent results.  We live in a salty environment and therefore the discs get some salty spray during the summer before the rain has washed the roads clean.  We also drive the pickup out to Bville with the discs installed.  They're now four summers old (I don't have them installed during the six months of winter) and are showing their age, but they're not embarrassingly bad looking yet.  I had the first set clear coated at a car repair biz -- and those lasted about as long as did the home-done ones.  They cost a lot more that way, though. . . :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »
  The main thing is to take them off before you leave the salt, wash them with a "strong" dose of soap and water, dry them off immediatly (to avoid water spots) and wax them, and I mean "RIGHT NOW".
  After twelve years and forgeting about the "RIGHT NOW" one too many times, I paid about a hundred bucks to have them polished, and even though I now clean them as soon as possible, I pay another fifty bucks every year to re-polish them.                Bob
p.s.:  If you are buying new wheels and intend to run Moon Discs, DO NOT WELD ON  Dzuz tabs before you recieve the Discs, and rent the Moon templete to use when welding on the tabs !
  Several years ago Bruce Geisler ordered three sets of 18" rims from "Hoppy" Hopsen (now the G.M. of American Racing Wheels) who at the time had his own sideline bussiness building racing wheels.
  Long story short:  I volunteered to weld on the tabs, have them powder coated, and shipped a set to Bruce, and the last set to Courtney Hizer in Georgia.
  About two months later Mickey Thompson Tires new owners (Cooper Tires) pulled the plug on the LSR tires, so we had no tires to mount.
  Flash forward about Three Years, and M/T came to a agreement with McCreary Tires to build new LSR tires off of the existing molds and allowed those of us who got "screwed" by the rich LSR owners who were allowed to "back door" existing inventory during the "tire non-existance" period irregardess of the "first in line, first served" process that had been used for years.
  When Courtney got his tires and tried to mount his  new Moon discs on his four year old (but still new) rims, they didn't fit.
  After several calls between Courtney, Moon and myself, I finally sent the template (which I bought from Moon at the onset) to Courtney and he (having had Moon send him two Virgin 18" discs) and matched the tab mounts (off of their own template)!
  Bottom line: Do not get the cart ahead of the horse, and if you buy your wheels from a Vendor, make sure they sell and mount the Moon Discs for you.  Bob
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:12:20 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
Bob:

"Rich LSR owners"...gotta be fewer of them than there are of us.  :-D

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Mine are clear powder coated. I only have them on when we run. I personally like them a lot.....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:11:31 AM »
I use Alodine 1001, from Aircraft Spruce Company, along with Alumiprep #33. They are both available in quart size, which lasts most people many years. It can be shipped by common carrier (UPS, etc.). The Alodine is a surface treatment (not a paint or coating) that prevents the corrosion (and stains and dulling) that bare aluminum suffers in moist air or handling. It has worked very well for me on all the billet aluminum pieces I've machined and used in competition- some of them 29 years ago and still looking good. It does wear away with lots of handling (sort of like soft anodizing)- I had to re-do such pieces (QC cover, etc.) every now and then. I also used it (instead of special primer) to neutralize the complete aluminum frame of my mini-rod pulling tractor before painting. Whenever I get to detailing my lakester, I'll definitely do the Moon discs.
Note: Professionally polished pieces would be slightly dulled by Alodine; the only choice for them is traditional periodic polishing and waxing (such as the hemi rocker covers shown here). But machined surfaces (such as the lower pulley) look great with Alodine treatment.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:47:01 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »
I'll second Jack's statements about Alodine. It is a chromate conversion process, available in a fairly clear or gold color. It is a type of passivation for aluminum alloys and, as he says, protects the aluminum from mild corrosion-- not salt-- but from ordinary handling. It looks good as- is or it serves as a base for painting aluminum.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline edjboard

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
I use a product called shark hide on my al boat,works great did it 3years ago still looks like new,first you buff it,clean with lacquer thinner, then apply with baby diapers,