Author Topic: A-PBG-UNLIMITED build  (Read 39046 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: A-PBG-UNLIMITED build
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »
    Maybe not, IIRC it snapped a chain in '71 on that year's hard salt. I know they came back with many changes for '72.  I'd also like any more details on that build if anyone has them.  It impressed me at the time as does this one now.  All the best for a safe, fun, and FAST meet 8pack!

Ed

Offline 8pack

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
With only 19 days left before Bonneville. I decided it was safe to pull the secret weapon from storage :-o I would tell you but Customs already called me 4 times and not sure if I want to talk to the NSA :cheers: I got the fuel tank back on but I still have to do a couple things to finish the install.  I also included a picture of the kickstand in stealth mode :-D

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:45:13 PM by 8pack »
Redline is a Goal. Not a limit.

Offline Freud

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
A new century Bob George dual.

Dave Campos rode it 231 MPH years ago w/o supercharging.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 8pack

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
A new century Bob George dual.

Dave Campos rode it 231 MPH years ago w/o supercharging.

FREUD

I am pretty sure my turbo will not make up for having a fairing. Maybe next year I will get my permission slip signed by my wife to add one :cheers:

I may be wrong but I don't think there has ever been a naked pushrod bike record over 200?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:10:10 PM by 8pack »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
Dave Matsons Vincent, 2000 M/F 210.357, 08/88
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 8pack

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »
Dave Matsons Vincent, 2000 M/F 210.357, 08/88

Why was he in the M-F class not the M-PF class? Are the pushrods to short to qualify, cam position or???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:27:42 PM by 8pack »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
I'm not sure -- but maybe back in '88 there wasn't a separate class for pushrods. . .?  But then -- I ride metric bikes with OHC so how would I know? :?

I do know Dave Matson and his bike and enjoy seeing him on the salt every year.  And it's cool -- because not all that many Vincents run on nitro.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
Do remember that SCTA/BNI will change the classes without telling anybody......at least they did in the "old days"..............so who knows what class Dave was running in......they changed our class 3 times back in the 1980/1990's without telling us......New M/C chairman, new classes and new interpretation of Tech. rules...... Lost 3 records.............Oh, well no problem retired now...............But still BS.
Question authority.....always

Offline 8pack

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
I looked through the records and every record with a Vincent engine is in the non-pushrod class. I do not have my rule book with me but I remember a statement about pushrod length or cam position. I guess they had a pushrod class in 1985 because there is a record.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:03:34 PM by 8pack »

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
Yes, funny how Vincents are not in the pushrod class, a shame really. Also, don't let the 2000cc class for Matson's old records fool you like some have been, it was done with a single motor, he did it before there was a 1650 class, although his actual displacement back then was less than 1650. It has only been the last few years that Dave has had a really big motor and moved into the 2000cc class proper.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »
"Also, don't let the 2000cc class for Matson's old records fool you like some have been, it was done with a single motor, he did it before there was a 1650 class, although his actual displacement back then was less than 1650."

If that's the case, then SCTA should be notified that they belong in the 1650 class, if applicable.  SCTA has done this before when new categories or engine sizes have been added.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 8pack

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
Looking at the record book. The 1650 and 2000cc classes look to be the sweat spot for motorcycles. When you step up to the 3000 and Unlimited classes most of the speeds are slower. I am sure there are a bundle of reasons. I look at my build and I can come up with a handfull of reasons it may not run as fast as the smaller bikes. However my dream was to build a double engine turbo bike that was big enough to be in the unlimited class. We are all going to find out how it works in about 18 days :cheers:

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 02:05:18 AM »
That's one cool Bike hope all goes to plan  :cheers:

I digress, aren't Vincents in Vintage Classes VG or VF as they were pre 1956 Bikes?

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline 8pack

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
Now that months turned into weeks and weeks turned into days. I decided I need to kick it into high gear and finish up. That being said today started off on the wrong foot :x I could not get the rear engine started because I did not get a chance to flush out the race gas after the tank cracked. After a string of words I can't repeat :-o and 2 hours of jacking around I finally got both of them started :cheers:

With the time I had left today. I got the last of the gauges and data loggers mounted today. I also decided now that I don't live in a village anymore. I should at least install matching wheels :roll: and check for rear wheel alignment.

I also got a chance to look at the rulebook on the requirements of the pushrod class. "Shall have pushrod operated valves with a camshaft located at least one crankshaft stroke below the OEM cylinder deck position or utilize OEM pushrod length at least twice the crankshaft stroke"

Offline edinlr

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2013, 02:22:46 AM »
The Vincent pushrods are long enough for the pushrod class and the only engine I can think of that isn't, are the last BMW's with the high cam and very short pushrods.  In the 60's and 70's there were very few large OHC engines, so pushrod motors still ruled the 1350 and above classes and didn't really need a separate pushrod class.  It would be kind of fun if they could do a few classes where everything was factored by engine type with 600 multis, 500 2-strokes, 750 twins, 1600 pushrod v-twins, etc.  It might make for some interesting racing instead of one or two bikes dominating a lot of classes.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo