Author Topic: old chevy brake question  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

old chevy brake question
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:42:10 AM »
I just purchased shoes, clips, springs and slaves for all 4 corners of my 38 Chev PU. (*Ironically cost almost the same as the truck sold for in 38!!!!)

I was considering media blasting the inside of the backing plates, and connecting arms(?) to remove scale and nastiness. Did the originals have any type of paint or rust inhibitor coating?

I was thinking of shooting them with some flat black but if there was an original color or coating I would prefer doing something that held true to the OEM spec.

Thanks.....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jimmy six

Re: old chevy brake question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
When you media blast them you will take all the protection away from the metal. In that year I'm pretty sure the "oxidized" surface was the protection and lasted until the shoes needed replacement. Longer in the west than the east.(protection that is). For originality sake I would clear coat the metal. Currently this is done for shoe brakes prior to the bonding or riveting of new linning. After media blasting be sure to blow out everything and try to lube all the moving parts................

Now that you've us your "originality" I'll be sure to have you remove you wheel/tire and brake drums at you your next car show to check. :evil: 
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro