Author Topic: Positive fuel shut off  (Read 8577 times)

Offline 1gsxrclosertodivorce

• New folks
Positive fuel shut off
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
"Fuel class motorcycles shall have a
positive fuel shut-off activated without the riders hand leaving the
handlebars"

Could someone talk me through an as simple as possible set up for the above?

Thanks,

Andy
02 GSXR 600
RWB - 140.055mph.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Positive fuel shut off
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50:20 PM »
This is merely the STOP switch on the handlebars of most modern bikes. It switches off the fuel pump along with other electrical devices such as the ignition.

If you don't have a fuel pump, then you would have to rig up a fuel shut off using a solenoid.

Also, don't forget you have to have a lanyard that shuts off the fuel when you exit the bike unintentionally.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. No fuel pump, so I will check out the solenoid set up.

Cheers,

Andy
02 GSXR 600
RWB - 140.055mph.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »
You could also use a thumb-operated lever to shut off the fuel. . .and avoid having to wire in a solenoid.  Since most bikes have the on/off switch by the right thumb - you'd mount your lever/cable device at the left thumb.  The cable is routed to the fuel tank petcock so that when you move the lever then valve closes.  No electricity, no worries about corrosion in the wiring.  I don't inspect for Bub's/AMA, but do so in SCTA and ECTA -- and the lever valve control is accepted as hunky-dory at those event venues.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
This is merely the STOP switch on the handlebars of most modern bikes. It switches off the fuel pump along with other electrical devices such as the ignition.

If you don't have a fuel pump, then you would have to rig up a fuel shut off using a solenoid.

Also, don't forget you have to have a lanyard that shuts off the fuel when you exit the bike unintentionally.

Don

I've never seen an lanyard hooked up to a mechanical fuel shutoff. Any examples of that??
John

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
An electrical switch can't shut off a mechanical fuel pump. In my example I was referring to electric fuel pumps. For non-electric pumps you would have to use the solenoid as I referred to, or the cable device that Jon referred to.
But I am sure there are other clever ways of meeting the rules too.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Rules require a tethered shut off switch for ignition and a positive fuel shutoff ... not necessarily the same switch.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
I wasn't thinking of a tethered fuel shutoff, but rather the shutoff that's actuated by movement of the rider's thumb.  Again, I don't know the Bub/AMA rules, but SCTA doesn't have the tether requirement for said shutoff -- just that it must be operable from the rider's position without moving his hands.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
Seems like Pingle makes a spring loaded shutoff that is tripped with a thumb lever.   Ross Powers (mc2032) has one on his scooter I think.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
i am using one of pingel's "guzzler" valves (8AN fittings) normally used by nitro fuel harleys.  i think they can retrofit the remote option to any of their valves.  they are pretty straight forward, spring loaded valve, spring loaded cable, twist the valve to the open postion, push the lever forward to engage the detent, slight pressure on the lever and the valve shuts.  they will custom make the cable for you if you tell them the length.  three pictures, on the bike and pictures of the lever and valve front and back.

http://www.pingelonline.com/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:06:38 PM by mc2032 »
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
Thanks for all the input  :cheers:
02 GSXR 600
RWB - 140.055mph.

Offline Marty

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »
Hey MC where did you get that thumb lever?? I have been looking on ebay and see some triumphs use this similar style, but maybe you have another source. I am running a 350 on the bottle(nx system) and need this setup. I have access to guzzlers, have one on my drag bike. They are a great valve. Thanks for the help.

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
the thumb lever is from pingel, you get one with the remote valve kit.  i called the tech line and bought one seperate (to replece the one i was "permanently borrowing".  pingel is a sponsor of the BUB event and if you tell them you are a land speed racer you might get it for cost or at least a reduced price.  it is made by magura (the same outfit that makes racing 1/4 turn throttles).  or, any thumb type throttle could be retrofitted into a shut off.  and if you have an outlaw bike shop handy, you should be able to source a cable assembly as well.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline bak189

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
Anything from Pingel at cost or a reduced price.....not very likely.......not one of their happy customers......they will NOT stand behind their product line.....if it fails... tough sh@#$t
Question authority.....always