Author Topic: Kevlar drop tank  (Read 10879 times)

Offline fastlammy

Re: Kevlar drop tank
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 05:27:31 AM »
currently have these

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
Fastlammy is that one new or has it endured a bunch of landings before it became unsuitable for an airplane?  I would caution you against running used ones since you will have no idea what they have been through.   
We have run our airplane fronts to 246 without issue, they were new and have been shaved...
unshaved versions in the past have run in the 220s with no problem.  If you look at the tire on the front left you will see it has some fabric showing, it has looked like that for the last 12 years, it is a fabric tread tire, we shaved the other one first, then shaved this one to the same number.  A couple of layers of the fabric appeared on this one... go figure.  The tires run cool, we do not run them at max rated pressure, we run 150 psi in them with a tube.  When you shave, just go to the bottom of the grooves.

As a side note, we ran over a sparkplug years ago and punctured a tire, all the air was out, noticed it after a 220+ run when we were loading the car on the trailer and wiping salt off the tires, don't know when in the run it happened...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
Thanks Stainless

Yes these rims and tires are used, i got the tires mainly so i could have a go mounting them and see what we need to do to shave them,can buy the tires new locally for about $300 each, these Michelin tires run 70psi and were the front tires off a small passenger jet.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:35 AM »
Yokahama make a 10" H rated tire.  Its a car tire and a bit on the wide side.  I run one on the front wheel of my sidecar.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
FastL, check ebay... undocumented new tires end up there at times... I would suggest not trusting your life to a formerly abused tire.  A used tire is useful for shaving practice and fit checks. 
If it is not good enough to run under an airplane, it is not good enough to run on your vehicle.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »
Nathan, you are right, it would be really small for you  :evil: but you are used to larger cars.  I know you sat it the lakester when you were a kid, the drivers compartment is 19 x 15... of course it is square, not round.  Yes it will be a tight fit, but a lot of the bike liners are quite small... it will take a lot of planning,

Ha, yes it'd be small for me but most things are.  But seriously, a 24" od starts out ok but this kevlar tank is probably what, at least an inch thick?  That's gives you a 22" id then put your 1.5" od cage structure in there and you're down to 19".  My hips fit snuggly into a 17" wide seat without a fire suit on.  I could probably put my lower half into the Bockscar but I'd have to rip off both my arms if I wanted to get in all the way.  Can't drive too well without arms.

Now if you had a 24" od body that was made out of 16 gauge sheet aluminum I think you'd have plenty of room and one could probably get in and out of said body without having to remove appendages.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member