Author Topic: Streamliner front tires (or lack of)  (Read 3163 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Streamliner front tires (or lack of)
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
In the process of building a streamliner and have come into sort of a quandry. The design for the front requires 5.00x5 wheels (10" tall tires) and all that exists for any kind of speed is 20yr. old top fuel dragster tires. I found some, but the thought of dancing at 200mph on that old of tire is a bit sketchy! Can get airplane tires but they're only rated to 120mph. For Bonneville it'll have some cnc'd solid aluminum front wheels but that doesn't help the dirt deal. Anybody have any ideas?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Streamliner front tires (or lack of)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Check with Jack Costella, I think he runs solid wheels in the salt and dirt.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
Scored some from Brad Anderson, so one more thing out of the way. Does the SCTA plan on allowing aluminum front tires on certain applications in the near future for El Mirage? Just curious.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Check with Jack Costella, I think he runs solid wheels in the salt and dirt.
Dirt would be Elmo.
  Sid.

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
Even thought you picked up some alum wheels, that problem might not be all "out of the way."

A friend of mine runs a sidecar at ELMO. He put a new alum wheel on his side car over the Winter. SCTA has a new rule that any alum wheels must also have an engineers statement, saying the wheel design and workmanship meets or exceeds the speed and weight of the vehicle is it being used on. My friend told me that the engineer had to do a study and present the data for SCTA approval in Tech.

You may want to check with someone more familiar with this new SCTA alum wheel "engineering study" before you go too far.

Bill

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
I'm the friend mentioned above and TwinSpin is right.  A rule change (7.B.8) now requires an engineers signature and stamp.  Its basically to say the wheel meets or exceeds the requirements  for the class record.  So far I have a six page wheel analysis report done at CalPoly that determined the wheel I have is 17.14 times as strong as it needs to be.  The bearings I'm using are rated at a max. of 9500 rpm.  At the speed I hope to run the max. rpm of the wheel will be 4850 rpm.  The axle shear rating is 39,600 lbs.  But without the signature I'm dead in the water.

I was at El Mirage today.  I wanted the inspectors to see the sidecar as it is completely new to them.  They were more than haywith what they saw BUT......... No sig. No run.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:06:13 AM »
I haven't made aluminum wheels yet! The front wheels and tires I scored were from Shelley Anderson's Top Fuel car she ran in the 90's. I know the engineering deal and math equations they're looking for and I'm working with a couple engineers for down the road. The aluminum wheels will definitely need to be on the salt deal though, cuz honestly, I don't really want to go that fast on tires that old.