Author Topic: Salt Circus Racing  (Read 9940 times)

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
Salt Circus Racing
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
The Circus is Coming!

I sorta lurk around the site making a couple of comments and really not have a lot to share, until now.
I hope a number of members remember George Campbell's Salt Circus. When Chick (my wife and to many an Inspector at El Mirage and Bonneville) and myself started to seriously shoot Speed Week, oh yea I am the Calendar Guy, George Campbell was always happy to see us and he became a friend. Add to the fact he had a great roadster the Salt Circus XXO/STR.
Then after Speed Week 2004 we never saw George or the Salt Circus. We found out he had died in an auto accident.
The roadster was gone and I always kinda wonder what happened to it.
Then a year ago it appeared with new ownership, Monte Osborn. He wanted to run a GMC.
But once they pulled out the car and took a look, for what Monte wanted to do, not much would be left of the original car. Then he made a decision to sell it and luckily for me i was given first offer.
Now I am not a bucks up racer, but we got the money and made the deal.
I have more photos to posts as we clean up the roadster and get it ready for May (hopefully). But I would like any photos or stories of George to add to my Salt Circus file. If you are a FaceBooker, Chick has started a group page called Salt Circus Racing.
More to come.
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline RichFox

Re: Salt Circus Racing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
Don't know if you saw this on the HAMB. I have some more photos of the GMC on Fergusons Dyno. But no way to post them.

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
Rich,
We were/are talking on the HAMB. I finally got around to posting it here at Land Racing. Tman got the jump on the announcement.
That is a great shot!
Tony
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »
Excellent, Tony. Hope you have enough bodies to crew this year. I`m sure I can sub for Chick in Inspection if she wants to assist you...(probably from the Drivers seat, eh?) :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
Tony, this is really cool. Do it do it do it.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
I don't think the Circus will be at Speed Week. It is very tough to try to shoot, sell, then try to race. We did it one year with the Brew 102. I think we will campaign it, hopefully, on the dirt then if all goes well and the weather is good we will take it to World. Plus the fact it is a bit cooler for wearing fire suits.
We took off panels last night and REALLY took a look at it. We have some holes to fill on the fire wall and rear panel between the cockpit and fuel tank. New mounting points for the hans/seatbelts.
I will post some more pictures later this morning.
Tony
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
Glad to see the car coming back. I always considered George a good friend when met while at Bonneville. Hope the car won't need too much to come back............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »
http://yblockguy.com/articles/KarolMillerStory.html

This is a great article written by Ray Brock in 1962 about Karol Miller. It was posted on the Y0-Block site by Tim McMaster Current Y-Block racer at Bonneville..........Hope it comes out..........JD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:29:41 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »
Once again, happy to see you guys owning this! Been on the road for several days, I need to call at some point. Later. T

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
When we gothe Salt Circus, it was a whirlwind. And we announced the 'arrivial' someone asked it it was ever in one of our calendars, and I had to think about that. It's been a lot of picutues go in the calendar and I thougt I might have. And we did.

URL=http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Typo41/media/Salt%20Circus%20Racing/2005cover_zps817b3676.jpg.html][/URL]

And it was in the first calendar we shot digitally, so the image was really good. I was worried I had photos but only on film and I havn't taken the time to convert any of them. I just make the calendar dead lines.

And we have started to look for what needs attention. The break cylinder looks like it survived, but the clutch master was almost a block of salt. And we have to change the door number. Bot the one on the door and the number George ran are in use. That is OK as we have a nice 3 didgit number in holding. And it will be on the door in the style that George had originally. The new numbe will be our 'part' of the Salt Circus

Lots of work to do before May, just got a message from Tim, needs MORE Parts!

Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
So, who drives it first? You or Chick? :-D

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »
 :-D

It really all depends on the weather and our line-up number. If it is a hot May, as it has been before, I can't wear the firesuit and sit in the car for long periods. If I overheat, I get into trouble.

But Chick has to decide what ride she will take,,, she is scheduled for the first pass with the Brew 102, and has an offer of seat time in a 200mph+ lakester. Popular Girl!

Speaking of Tim, I know we weren't, but I gave him a SIMPLE job, just put the heads on the short block and button the newley rebuilt short block,,, does he listen? Nope! He took the mule motor down to bare block, hone clean-up, crank clean-up, valve job on the heads, changed to main studs, next thing you know he will paint it that dark green Ford color!!! :-D

Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
:-D

It really all depends on the weather and our line-up number. If it is a hot May, as it has been before, I can't wear the firesuit and sit in the car for long periods. If I overheat, I get into trouble.

But Chick has to decide what ride she will take,,, she is scheduled for the first pass with the Brew 102, and has an offer of seat time in a 200mph+ lakester. Popular Girl!

Speaking of Tim, I know we weren't, but I gave him a SIMPLE job, just put the heads on the short block and button the newley rebuilt short block,,, does he listen? Nope! He took the mule motor down to bare block, hone clean-up, crank clean-up, valve job on the heads, changed to main studs, next thing you know he will paint it that dark green Ford color!!! :-D

In th words of Cosby at the dentist, "That abishoble!"

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »
The work continues at Tims
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
I thought tim had it buttoned back up? I need a flow chart!