Author Topic: Dating of cases in vintage class.  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
Dating of cases in vintage class.
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:41:02 AM »
We're planning on building a BSA A10 for 2014. We're planning to run in vintage class; AVBF-750. The engine we are using was in production from 1954 to 1962 virtually unchanged; certainly the crankcases and heads.
Do we need to source crankcases with pre-56 engine numbers? How will this be verified at tech?

Offline Truckedup

Re: Dating of cases in vintage class.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
 The rule implies it's up to the racer to provide adequate documentation.I build Triumphs and they have engine serial numbers that are date coded,BSA is the same?
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
Briz, I trust you have a rulebook... read 7.3.10 about 10 times without reading anything in... or have the wife read it and give her thought....  :roll:
OK, what it says is if the cases and heads are identical for later years, then they are allowed but it is up to you to prove it to the contest board... in advance.  So if you plan to run 59 cases you need to submit that with documentation proving they are identical for pre-approval.  Documentation could be as easy as showing they are the same part number from the parts books.
Or find a set of old cases and head to work with...
Good luck with the project  :cheers:
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
Thanks guys. I found some info on the BSA owners club site. Turns out our cases are '54 or '55 so we're on safe ground there I think.
I'll bring a printout of it along to tech.