Author Topic: Rookie Looking For Advice  (Read 4888 times)

Offline DutchC

• New folks
Rookie Looking For Advice
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm planning on attending & participating in my first BUB motorcycle speed trials this summer. I have experience riding bikes on designated tracks, but I've never attempted setting a top speed, let alone on the salt. I'm currently trying to determine how difficult it is and what type of motorcycle would be suitable for a rookie.

Initially, I was considering a hayabusa or zx-14 that's stretched and may or may not have engine mods such as a turbo. Now, I'm wondering if that's too aggressive for my first time out. Perhaps a cbr1000rr, gsx-r, etc would be easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Rookie Looking For Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Any bike that you are familiar with as a rider is a good place to start. Learn the course and experience the competition before you ride with the fastest on the salt. Many new competitors try to pick a class where they feel they can be competitive and maybe set a record. Its not like anything else you have ever done.........except maybe remembering to shift gears :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Running on the salt for the experience and fun of it is one thing (Run What You Brung), but trying to set a record is quite a different thing. For both you need to download the rule book, pick a class that you feel you are most familiar with and then read the rules for that class over and over.

Do NOT show up on the salt thinking you can just make a run right off the trailer. Many things have to go together before you can make a run. Registration (hours in line), inspection (hours in line), then if you pass those hurdles you get the honor of spending hours in line to make a run.

So pick a bike, decide on a class for it, and make whatever mods (or not) you think will make it go faster. Remember that even a bone stock bike must have modifications to satisfy the rule book.

Pre-register with BUB when that is available.

Once you have picked a bike and a class for it, don't be shy about asking questions here. But remember every detail in the rule book for you must be followed or you may go home very sad.

Good Luck. Keep posting.
Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »
Rob, the question is how fast do you want to go?
If the bike is set up correctly you will probably not notice a lot of difference except traction which will require some throttle control.  It won't be like drag racing where you just whack it open.
To be competitive your 1000 will need to be a 200 MPH bike NA.
If you feel comfortable riding that speed, then you will be fine, but your first outing will be quite the learning experience.  
Weight = Traction on the salt... get too much on the back and you may get speed wobble... wheel spin at high speeds will shred your tire... again it is a balance.  My GSXR weighs more than 650 lbs, had 2 riders without salt experience on it in 2010, running open class, one set the current SCTA record, the other qualified to run against that record but head winds kept him from being successful.  Had 5 riders on the bike that year at Speedweek, 2 set records, all 5 qualified to set a record, headwinds were a problem for the backup runs in the mornings.
So go to your first race with the expectation of having fun, and running flat out on the most famous and historical race track in the world.  
It is like no other place and no other race  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DutchC

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback  :cheers:

What about the learning curve on the salt? I'm assuming showing up with a rocket strapped to my bike to break a specific (200 mph+) record will make for a frustrating / painful time. Or would you say that it's fairly comfortable to set an ambitious goal, such as 200 mph?

It's likely I'll end up buying a bike for this experience together with my father and brother and share the experience / costs.

Don - looks like you're in Denver. Would you mind if I sat down with you at some point to learn more?

Cheers,

Rob

Offline DutchC

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
Stainless,

Looks like your reply went through just as I finished writing mine. I'm surprised to hear that 2 guys without salt experience were able to be very competitive their first time with your bike. I assumed there was quite a learning curve to it. Were they experienced in other LSR areas?

It would be great to reach 200 mph. But, I'd my goal is to have the most fun and stay on the bike. If the goal seems to lofty for the first time, I'll reach for something lower. On the other hand, it would be a nice thing to accomplish  :-D

Cheers

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
Both were riders, Josh had some LSR Mile experience, Marcus was just a street rider friend of my son.  The others had ridden on the salt before.  This was not the bikes first outing, it set its first record in 03 PP class.  It set multiple PS class records, we learned a lot over the 5 years it took to reach our goal of being the first NA gas 1000 to set a record over 200 and put my oldest in the 200 MPH club, setting the APS-G record at 208.959, the last year before they allowed the longer streamlined tails...
My other son wanted to run in open class without a fairing, he is a pretty big boy, managed to set the record in 2009, then raised his record in 10 before the others in the group got on.  Josh and Marcus took turns doing license passes, until Josh qualified on his 175 to 200 pass, he was the next largest person in the group. After Josh set the record the next morning, Marcus qualified against his record on his 175 to 200 license pass.  The next morning headwinds got him and he fell a couple of hundredths short. Then Todd Dross (Narider) took his turn (Todd had ridden the bike faired to 200 a couple of years before) he also qualified, but same result, morning headwinds kept him short of the number.  Finally Deb Dross took her turn, she was the smallest of the group, and qualified in the same headwind that killed Todd's record pass (8 MPH).  That was the last day of racing and the back up runs were about 4 hours later... she fell short by less than a hundredth, in a 14-15 MPH headwind.  Smaller riders stop less air...  :-D
The take away here is have some patience, have some fun, enjoy the experience.  If you just want to set a record, find an open class and run in it... there are lots of them.  If you have a goal to go 200, pick a class with a record under that number and put in the work to get it there, it will not be easy, but the end result it quire rewarding. 
Lots of folks run Hayabusas, it is easy to go fast, but pretty hard to set a record, check the books for the class.
Stainless

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
Dutch,
Our shop is located in Longmont so very close to you. if you ever want to come by  to check out out bikes and speak with my wife (she is our rider and has went 160 mph on a harley) feel free. Our number is 303-702-1600.

I personnaly would not recommend you go for the 200 mph club in your first year. I have seen some others do that and the end results were not good although others have been fine. Take a year with a slower bike to get to know the place and then come back next year going for broke would be my advice.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:40:55 AM by nrhs sales »

Offline DutchC

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:53 AM »
Looks like I need to do some reading and searching to figure out which class to run in. That or I could always opt for the RWB class for the first year.

NRHS Sales - Thanks, for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on that.

Stainless - Thanks for the detailed info about your experiences. It's encouraging to hear other people's success stories.

Glad I found this forum.

Cheers,

Rob

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »
A nice clean "Aero tuck"  :?  is one of the easiest- hardest  :-o  things to "master"---from a guy who has never ridden on the salt
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:17 AM »
In re: the tuck.  Here's what Nancy and I have done to work on it:  Put the bike on a good rear stand and on a level bit of pavement (your garage apron is fine if it's not slanted down too much).  Then get on the bike - preferably wearing your safety garb, complete, and have the other person take photos of you from the sides and front/rear.  See where you think (THINK) is a good position while you're on the bike, then take a look at the photos to see if they show obvious issues.  For me -- whether it's an issue or a good thing -- my legs are so long that my butt is sitting on the edge of the rear seat and there's an inch or two of daylight 'tween hiney and seat.  Take a look at the front and rear photos to see if you're leaning to one side when you think you're straight and level.

While you're on the bike - get your head down to the tank like you think it'll be when you're riding down the course.  Then look at those photos and see if your head and helmet are where they oughta be.  And so on -- you can learn a lot right at home.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »
SSS, you forgot the important info I gave Nancy to improve her tuck.... TOT
Stainless

Offline salt27

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
TOT?

Take off trousers? :roll:

Been talking to Freud I see. :-D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:28:19 PM by salt27 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
Don, she was having problems with her tuck, sitting up too high, TOT will get her head down...
Stainless

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
Kinda like "Tight On the Tank"?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records