Author Topic: aerodynamic downforce  (Read 13520 times)

Offline hawkwind

Re: aerodynamic downforce
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
here are some of the examples I have found
slower than most

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »
This  one is from the 70's
slower than most

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
JimL .....here are some pics of my bike .....total weight all up with me on and ready to race is 1000lbs  made up of  lead 200lbs.....me 216 lbs and the bike 575 lbs  it has a weight distribution of aprox 60/40....as you can see the batteries are low and behind the rear wheel ......last time I raced there was about 17% difference between recorded speed and tacho redline speed ..im adding sensors to accurately record real tyre slip.

slower than most

Offline Jon

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 02:38:28 AM »
Looks nice Gary.

Are there any areas that at filled with shot that you can melt lead into or slide an ingot into?
The best stacking of spheres possible gives about 21% airspace.

My concern of a wing is not around running straight, it's around a crosswind.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
Me 216lbs???? Not trying to be nasty but brother that is a huge amount of ballast. Try Marco Melandri. :-D :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »
Looks nice Gary.

Are there any areas that at filled with shot that you can melt lead into or slide an ingot into?

Cheers
jon

Powdered tungsten will fill the space between the balls... I think it is a little heavier than lead... and a lot more expensive.... although a pound of both weigh the same...  :roll:

same wing concern here, the downforce in a cross would seem to want to push the tire out from under the bike.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
I was going to say something about re-sizing photo files -- how it's done in your computer, not on the web - but Cpt. THun beat me to it.  Another way around those large files is to use a photo-sharing site (Photobucket, etc).  They accept any size file and link to your post with just a line or so of text.  Yes, if the photo site goes down your Forum post would lose the photos, but that's a minor concern if you ask me.  It's happened once or twice to me in the past five years, and then the missing stuff came back soon anyway.

A plus is that the entire post loads faster.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
Just a thougt about a wing on a two wheeled vehicle. The down force generated by the wing is always directly down from bottom of the wing, i.e. 90 degrees from the bottom of the wing, so if you happen to be going fast enough to generate some serious down force and you happen to have to lean the bike over a little then he wing down force is no longer perpendicular to the ground instead it is trying to push the tire out from under the bike. Could this really happen, got me? but just a thought.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
These are as far as I know, are the two fastest and quickest Drag Bikes at present.

Korry Hogan the fastest 250+mph

Larry McBride 5.6 secs

Both are McBride built bikes and have that rear "Spoiler" set up rather than a Wing maybe there is something in that???

Pete :-D
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
Rex that's the problem there is so little information out there ....everything I've read says its possible ...methinks its time to explore the possibilities :-D.......maybe it will start a trend if it works  :cheers:
slower than most

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
what happens if an aeroplane trys to fly straight ahead if the wings are at an angle to the horozintal, :?, will want to steer in a circle,(more angle, tightens circle, less not so tight),  have to have some pedal in there to keep it straight, :wink:,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
Just a real distant and casual observation from a slow-poke rookie..............could it be that the flat-tray is creating lift?  You appear to have a lot of air-space under the motor and no air-dam effect in front of the tray.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline JimL

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
One variable I cant figure out is what speed you begin experiencing the 17% slip.  I guess you mean you are running 208, and turning the rear wheel 243?  That has me wondering if there is a particular speed range where this much tire spin begins to occur.  That might give some clue to what is happening. 

....an interesting puzzle, indeed.

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Looks nice Gary.

Cheers
jon

Agreed---  For example I filled my front bumper with lead shot, added about 85lbs that way.  Then went back and poured molten lead in thinking I'd get a little bit more weight and would use the molten lead to seal the shot in the bumper.  I got another 34lbs of molten lead into the 'already filled with shot' bumper! 

Additionally, when you melt the lead, all of the impurities float (you can float a steel bolt in the stuff actually) and you remove the impurities from the top leaving just the more dense, molten lead.  When it came time to fill the framerails I didn't even bother with shot, just went straight to molten lead and filled them up.  Put another 220lbs in just the front sections of the framerails (firewall forward) in my car.  I
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control