Author Topic: aerodynamic downforce  (Read 13486 times)

Offline hawkwind

aerodynamic downforce
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:34:07 AM »
If one was creating downforce via an inverted wing  and that downforce was acting directly over the axel in a vertical direction ie. at 90 degrees to the direction of travel would it alter the CoG ?  then if one was to move the wing so that it was forward or rear of the axel would that change the CoG?  or generally does the added force of negative pressure add weight to a car like adding lead ? or does it create pitching moments only?

And if you add enough downforce to stop any wheel spin, would soft compound tyres then help further with traction?..... for arguments sake lets say the vehicle  is very traction limited  and nowhere near enough space to add enough lead.   

cheers
Gary
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:48:05 AM by hawkwind »
slower than most

Offline Jon

Re: aerodynamic downforce
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »
My guess Gary is that it wouldn't effect your COG, it would move your COP though.

I would be wary of generating a lot of downforce on a single track vehicle.

Only my opinion.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
Gary, you can pour 1/2 inch lead plates that you can form to fit as required if you use fairly pure lead.  You might be surprised how much weight you can find room for.
I'm thinking you are asking for trouble with a wing...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »
To geneerate the down force you imply, the wing would also generate a considerable amout of drag at speed. drag bad.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
If I'm thinking straight this morning . . . .

Applying downforce to the wheel/axle is better because there is no need to alter spring rates.  This, however, does NOT mean that drag won't be present.  One canNOT get downforce without drag.

In my mind, drag from a wing increases with speed.  Wt. (mass) is a constant no matter the aero conditions (speed, or not) giving the same added traction at all speeds.

Does that make any sense?

It seems enough folks have proven the added wt. theory . . . .
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
Al Teague tried a wing and went slower, you will see very few streamliners with a wing.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »
the problem with a wing at velocity (downforce) on a single track vehicle, is that it will want to steer ya if at an angle to the horozintal plane,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline John Burk

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
The first car to go 500 will use down force , wings or body shape or both . Wings can have 30:1 lift to drag if they're slender and tapered .

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 04:56:01 AM »
Thanks ....yes im well aware of the drag penalty in providing down force...like all things in life there is no free lunch :cry:...under certain circumstances  all things must be considered ...the search for traction will continue ...the problem still remains ....time to investigate solutions that most for there reasons reject......Facts trump speculation...... research continues.

Stainless1 I have gone to extraordinary lengths to utilise every square inch of available space ...lead shot is inhabiting all the frame rails and every where else it could be secured safely   somewhere around 60 Kg...there is only so much space on naked bikes....available horsepower is well in excess of available traction so adding some more drag to what is a very high drag platform is not as bad as it looks ....finding a balance is the solution. excessive spinning of a tyre only gets you a ruined tyre not a record ....need to exceed 230mph now.... up from 208....as stated before available traction is the limiting factor.

cheers
Gary

P.S. who dares wins :evil:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:19:38 AM by hawkwind »
slower than most

Offline JimL

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 11:41:17 PM »
You might improve your traction if you shave your tires (to reduce its ability to carry high pressure air and loose salt, wrapping around to ground contact).  You could mount your battery box as low as you can, directly in front of the rear tire.  This will cut off airflow into that very high pressure air that the tire is dragging around the circle.  Part of the problem is marbles from the front tire, perhaps?

Those big sidewalls are pretty good at throwing air under the front of a tire.  Our roadster would drag salt, in the tread grooves, all the way around in front of the rear tires.  The side of the body, in the upper forward quadrant of tire area, had the paint really abraded from that 180 mph salt meeting 180 mph air for combined speed of ....some big number!  It was obviously the highest pressure point on the whole car.

This effect is so significant that many production cars are now using spats/spoilers in front of all four tires, and using tighter shoulder tread patterns.  It starts to matter at as low 50-60 mph!  I run a spat in front of my rear tire, and you can bet it will be deeper this year. :wink:  It had a LOT of salt stacked on it, last year, that blew back from the front wheel....and it was the hammered-in hard kind that you get at speed (and i'm only going 160 on my 650 pushrod bike).

Maybe a cheap and safe improvement for you.  The way the rules read for open class, a rear tire spat isnt streamlining because its not ahead of the rider, and doesnt cover tire or wheel.

Regards, JimL
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:02:23 AM by JimL »

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
Thanks JimL..... :-D    yes I have the batteries down low and directly behind the rear wheel ...I tried to post a pic but the file is to large and it was rejected   :oops:.

I have been doing a lot of research and its hard going to find much about inverted wings on motorcycles BUT there is some and its not the doom and gloom most make it out to be.

"In a straight line, any aerodynamic features that create extra down force will load the tyres more and make available more traction. Provided that our brakes are good enough and that we have sufficient power, this greater grip will allow for better acceleration and braking"...quote from Tony Foale...also the other bike experts I have read  Gaetano Cocco & Vittore Cossalter also agree in principle that the idea is a sound one albeit limited in scope or at least what has been tried before.

If you fitted a fixed 'wing' to a bike it would generate down force relative to the vertical axis of the bike, and when leaned over it would generate not only force in the true vertical plane (to enhance grip) but also in the true horizontal plane, increasing the force trying to push the tyre away from the centre of the bend. Net result, no increase in grip but power lost in aerodynamic drag.What we're talking about is increasing the down force and hence grip, F=mu*N.If you fitted a wing with a gimbal mechanism so it always created down force vertical to the ground you could increase the grip without increasing the cornering force so any leaning for apparent wind direction would not limit or negate the down force.

There are any number of top fuel drag bikes that use inverted wings  of several types and designs and a surprise  find was a Kiwi physics Dr. Roger Freeth who in the 70's raced a TZ750 with inverted wings until the sanctioning body outlawed it. so its not in the realm of science fiction.
Both wrist induced and electronic traction control is usefull to a point  but sadly trying to outsmart the laws of physics is doomed to fail, so for me its a no brainer to use down force albeit at the expense of extra drag and search for a balance.
cheers   
slower than most

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
Resize your pics to "large web" size before you try to load them to this site.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
Thanks Jack but the pics are on my puter not a web hosting site  and 500kb is all she wrote, all mine are many mega pixels  : :cry:
slower than most

Offline DaveL

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
I like the idea Gary. If the wing has negative dihedral it should help to keep the bike upright as well.
Dave.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
Thanks Jack but the pics are on my puter not a web hosting site  and 500kb is all she wrote, all mine are many mega pixels  : :cry:

Let's try one last time then we'll move on. All of my pics are on my puter too. I right click on the pic and pick "edit" from the list that appears. there should be opions to choose from. Just trying to help as a lot of folks here function better with photographs.