Author Topic: "reactive" - sorry to bring this up again.  (Read 12934 times)

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
Re: "reactive" - sorry to bring this up again.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
Like I said above, I was simply borrowing the word 'reactive'.  I agree that it's not the best choice of words for this application.  I too prefer 'feedback'.

Thanks for proving my point that there is no effective difference between a distributor and crank trigger(s).  The both simply tell the coil when to fire in relation to crank rotation.  As you mention, a distributor actually has more provisions for 'feedback' in that it has provisions for both mechanical and vacuum advance.  A MSD 6214, while 'digital' has no provisions for 'feedback'.  It is simply a very basic waste-fire Sprint car ignition.

:cheers:
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
If a non-feedback simple electronic ignition is allowable, I imagine that a problem then arises for tech inspectors in determining how many functions an anonymous looking black-box is providing.
Maybe a hall-effect pickup running thru something obviously recognizable, like a GM HEI module?

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »
The Hall effect design can be called electronic, but it's trigger, or switch is simply a magnet.

http://www.bristolwatch.com/hall_effect/index.htm

Guess you could call it a virtual set of points.
I  have a ARD CDI magneto and a Dynatek 'electronic' ignition. Will either one of these pass inspection?
John

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
I talked to the bike tech chair(s) at the last board meeting and they said non-reactive means non-reactive as in it doesn't react to anything.  Basically fixed timing.  I'd think the plan to use an HEI module would be acceptable as HEI's still relied on a mechanical advance to control timing so the modules themselves can't directly control ignition timing, only the switching of the coil on and off.

In either instance, your best bet is to contact the bike tech chair(s) before showing up to an event. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:09 AM »
I think you have to look at not just the word reactive but also the context of the sentence in the rule book

" newer technologies such as EFI, or electronic reactive ignitions are not in keeping with the spirit of vintage rules and are not allowed."

so it says "electronic reactive ignitions"

When I asked Matt Shuss he said

Tom can correct me if I'm wrong, but it is to disallow ignitions which adjust to boost, A/F readings, knock sensors, etc.

Which was what I thought it meant
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm