Author Topic: City of Burbank 2.0  (Read 31621 times)

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: City of Burbank 2.0
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
Safety over retro should be the way to go. So what if putting extra bars in to beef up the roll cage might not look retro. I thought being safe is more important then looks. JMO
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:38:48 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 02:09:24 PM »
Bill, "Tiny" Davis. Builder of the original City of Burbank and 2.0 streamliners, USAC championship car owner/builder, multi-time IndyCar fabricator of the year. Still meltin stuff together at 83 years old.   :-D

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
We decided to add a track bar to keep the rear axle centered. Ran the fuel line inside the frame rail. Just about ready to bolt up the left side panels and get this thing off to the body guys.

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Seems like an awfully short track bar if the aim is to keep
things centered, is the travel limited in some way...

Offline DND

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
Seems like a side to side ' Watts link ' would do a better job of keeping the rear centered than that short bar?

Don

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
A long weekend of thrashing but we have most of the panels in place. We tried some foaming at the front to see the shape.
Getting closer to sending it to the body guys

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
A big week of fitting frp panels into the center areas to provide a base to make the fiberglass body. The body will be made directly on the chassis, just as the original was. In 52 the guys used plaster as a base. We will use foam blocks sanded to shape and the frp panels to provide the base. The problem now is the clock is moving faster than we are

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
The chassis is on the ground on 4 wheels for the first time. Indianapolis Fabrications will handle making the fiberglass body. I hope they can it done in time for us to finish things up. Here is a magazine photo of the City of Burbank 1.0 and the another of the replacement COB 2.0

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
Getting closer! I hope you make it, it's a cool looking car!   :cheers:

I can appreciate the balancing job here with the desire for reproduction of the original, but wondered if you had considered the 'aero' perhaps you could incorporate some subtle aids to reduce lift?

The shape looks a lot like a wing in profile! Maybe it will be better when the front and wheel covers are on and the body is down close to the ground to keep the air from going under? Also I expect the roll cage and stuff will pull C of P back somewhat? Maybe others can make some constructive comment?

Will be an interesting ride!

Keep pressing on, I want you guys to get there!  8-)  

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 02:04:22 AM »
Do you have an Ardun for it?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »
We do not have an Ardun. The boys used an Ardun for mock up back in the day but ran a C&T modified 248 inch Flathead.
We have two motors available, both basic Flatheads. One is 304 cu in with 3 97s. The other one is 276 cu in with 2 97s.
These power plants will most likely be the biggest limiting factor in how fast we can go. The original C&T motor is in Speedway Motors museum in Lincoln Nebraska. The 304 in motor is Bill Davis merc from back in the day and ran in many cars including a belly tanker and the "3 day coupe".
The Aero design on these early cars was interesting to say the least. My own observation is that the original car most likely  exceeded it design limits when it crashed in 1955.
We have no illusions as to records for this class but rather do this to celebrate one of the pioneers of Bonneville and have some fun doing it.   :cheers:

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »
We have no illusions as to records for this class but rather do this to celebrate one of the pioneers of Bonneville and have some fun doing it.   :cheers:
Superb! and a great looking job you are making it!  :cheers:

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
The guys at I Fab are shaping foam to make a base for the fiberglass body. Hopefully in the next three weeks we can have some results.

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
The guys at Indianapolis Fabrications are making foam dust. We should be able to start glass work next week. 65 days and counting, the clock is moving too fast for me.

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »
Took the the expert, Mr Bill Davis, over to Indy Fab to offer some guidance on the body shape