Author Topic: City of Burbank 2.0  (Read 31619 times)

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
Re: City of Burbank 2.0
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
Starting to put the bulkheads in place. All of these pieces have been on the car before so they should bolt right up. Famous last words. Always some fiddling and fitting. Already had to remove the rear spring to put in the panel behind the seat. Stuck the tube in place for the DJ parachute and bolted up the torque tube. The plan is to get it to a rolling chassis and then the guys at Indianapolis Fabrications can make the fiberglass body.

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »
Starting to look like a racecar Joe...... Nice!  :cheers:

Do you have access to the original body?  :?

Offline Tman

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »
Really? That chassis and cage is legal? If so, my chassis was done a year ago and all this extra work was wasted!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
T, it all looks semi-sturdy enough... although if I was building a new car I would plate in the tub and roll structure to keep unwanted stuff out, and add gussets at the main rails to make it tougher.... but it should be fine if they sent lots of pictures to the contest board and had approval in writing to put in their log book.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
Trent,
You happen to be concerned about surviving a crash these guys seem to only be concerned about making the car look like the original with the minimum cage required to pass tech.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
Rex, me thinks you hit the nail on the head. I noticed some flat plate gussets on the "cage" but if it were me, I believe I could find some creative ways to increase safety and keep the "look" they are going for. Just say'in
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »
Trent,
You happen to be concerned about surviving a crash these guys seem to only be concerned about making the car look like the original with the minimum cage required to pass tech.

Rex

Silly me, wanting to see my kid grow up and all......................

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »
Really? That chassis and cage is legal? If so, my chassis was done a year ago and all this extra work was wasted!

i was thinking the same thing, coping those diagonal tubes is a real pain....  :-D

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
Starting to look like a racecar Joe...... Nice!  :cheers:

Do you have access to the original body?  :?
No the original body was destroyed in a 250 mph crash/flip that incidently did very little damage to the rest of car even though it had only a single hoop behind the drivers head and no cage, gusestts or other modern protections. We do however have the guy that built the original car, Bill Davis

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
If they're running the naturally aspirated 300" flathead with three 97's that's on their website then the chassis and cage are fine.  The XF/GS record is over 250 and this car is being built well below something that'd satisfy those tech requirements but, that doesn't mean it won't be able to run.  I'm sure it'll get stickered with a speed limit and what that limit will be I don't know and we won't know until the car is teched.  I just hope someone higher up on tech totem pole has at least seen some pictures of this car and knows that it's coming some day.       
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
Working on this project reminds me of working on Eagle Indy cars. You can't do anything without doing something else first.
Everything you need is always on the other side of the car. Spent he whole week doing, undoing. redoing and undoing again.
The dog ate the instructions but we'll figure it out. The driveline and front end are squared up so at least that's done, I think.
 :? :?
The old guy is starting to work on his motor, Should make at least 200hp.  :-o :-o

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
Its been a busy week. All these panels fit a lot easier wth clecos. We got the pedals in and master cylinder mounted and some of the brake lines run. Spent today fitting the right side. Photos to follow.

Offline JoeBlystfk

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Here is a photo of the right side with panels fitted. Starting to look like it should.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »
Couple of things here. I loved the original and I really like this car.

I also like Joe's ability to avoid the mud too, he has elected not to join the argument about the cage. I can see where they are coming from, even though my choice would be different, 

There is the argument that you'd be crazy not to do the latest thing....there is also a relevant argument about risk management. There are some classes that have far greater risk, the level to which that risk is abated is up to the builder/driver.

Is it more foolish to build this car that may run in the 180's or even low 200's than it is to ride a sit on bike capable of 240+ ????? Are they going to CFD model the car? , is it going to want to get on it's roof like a NASCAR?

I dunno.

Keep posting Joe, it's a beautiful thing.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »
It IS a beautifull car Goggs, but extra tubes could be used and never be seen.