Author Topic: Current Record Holder For Sale  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Current Record Holder For Sale
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
You can own a piece of history and earn entry into the prestigious Bonneville 200 MPH Club!

This current Bonneville record holding Toyota MR2 G/BGT is now available.

The car started out as a Toyota celebrity challenge car at the Long Beach Grand Prix then was converted to an IMSA Firestone Firehawk showroom stock racer where it was driven to 4 wins by PJ Jones; the son of Indy 500 winner Parnelli Jones. In 1992 the Aase Bros. took the car to the Bonneville Salt Flats and after some license passes put driver Dennis Aase into the record books and the Bonneville 200 MPH Club. The car ran a best rev limited speed of 218 MPH because of the stock transmission gearing. The engine has since been freshened and currently has only dyno time on it. The transmission has also been modified with a custom built 6th gear set to allow it to run to a projected 230 to 240 MPH, as the engine has power to spare. With the present record at 211 MPH it’s your chance to shine and bring home the trophy and a red hat.
The car does need some up grades to bring it into current SCTA rule book compliance but you’ll not likely be able to build a car capable of this kind of performance for a similar cost. Asking price is $18,000 with engine and trans installed. Modifications to make the car SCTA current can be arranged for an extra charge.

Contact me via PM for further info.     
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Current Record Holder For Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »
That is a good deal for a nice car.  In case anyone does not think so, including the purchase price of the 2003 Triumph bike, I have about as much money tied up in it as this car will cost.  It is easy to spend $18,000 for less of a vehicle than this Toyota.     

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »
pea-nuts,seriously,peanuts. A 200+ car for under 20k ? plenty of people have spent five times that much, that's a bargain.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JimL

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
This engine is a really serious build, and probably worth that price by itself.  There are also taller final drive gears available, these days, to go with that six speed.

FYI...this engine bolts on to the 1995-2003 Tacoma R150 series bell housing, which accepts several different 5 speeds for a rear drive application.  The latest R series for Tacoma 4-cylinder has the shortest 5th gear.  The locating pins fit perfectly and all but one mount bolt plug right in.  The rear of the block is already relieved to clear a forward position starter for use in rear drive projects.  The Truck input shaft plugs right into the Turbo clutch package.

When we adapted this type engine to a Supra 6-speed (the old 797 roadster that ran around 180+ repeatedly with a near stock engine), I simply hand ground the ramp on each ring gear tooth to use the truck starter.

Somebody is gonna get this engine and run wild in G Blown classes.  Social Security bets it wont be me!....sure is fun to dream, though. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
I agree with Jim the engine is worth 18K! Sounds like Dennis is cleaning out his shop.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:29:39 AM »
Need to explain...I dont have any personal position in this car or engine.  I just ran the same engine package 15 years ago on the salt, but in a roadster.  Any questions about this need to go to Dennis.  He knows much more about making thesework than I ever did.

I forgot to mention, the manual trans bell housing from 1988 1/2 onward 3.0 V6 is 1 1/8" flatter.  This, combined with typical trans input shaft lengths, will give room for easy adapting.  I used three pieces of 3/8" plate, pinned for location, to get a Supercharged twin-cam V6 stuffed into a rear drive Corolla street car (using that bell housing).  It also moves the clutch release arm to the right side, away from drivers footwell.  Those first V6 trucks and 4runners needed everything shortened up because they were fittng the V6 into a 4-cylinder long hole.

That 3.0 V6 bell housing also bolts right on to this engine.  Centerforce built us a trick, flatter, pressure plate for that bellhousing from their experience with off road racers.

Engine leans to the right when mounted to truck bell housings, which makes the turbo plumbing easier if you have a roadster of any type.  The oil pickup is already ok for that.  This engine is roughly four cylinders off the twin- turbo Supra six, but manages heat better.  Internal bypass thermostat, dont run without it...we never saw over about 220 degrees even when hot lapping late in the week without cooling down our water tank.  That was running the long course.

Hope this helps somebody....maybe just boring trivia on this forum....and some appreciation for the knowledge Dennis and Randy shared when we were trying to build our first car.  Good people.

Regards, JimL
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:36:37 AM by JimL »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:18:15 AM »
Hey Jim, we live for boring trivia

Dyno... good luck with the sale, somebody is going to get a bargin
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
BUMP!

700 views but no P/M's   :?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...